Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a nice older S&W revolver and/or a nice older Winchester/Marlin long rifle. I'd pay top dollar.

It's been a frustrating experience. What happened when guys had one FS? Have all owners decided that they will just keep 'em?

Yea, yea, I've seen a bunch of newer stuff FS at a price that is 30%-50% above the price of one year ago.

Just saying

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Nice older firearms are hard to find
No kidding. :confused: And getting harder to find and more costly every day it seems. Not good for me as a relatively impoverished old collector. I'm lowering my goals for 2021 (vs. 2020) by half. I'm hoping sheer luck will play a role and keep me interested in growing the collection just a little bit more before I kick.

Sure would help if they brought back gun shows to my state, but no one expects that anytime soon. :(

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I've been looking for a nice older S&W revolver and/or a nice older Winchester/Marlin long rifle. I'd pay top dollar.

It's been a frustrating experience. What happened when guys had one FS? Have all owners decided that they will just keep 'em?

Yea, yea, I've seen a bunch of newer stuff FS at a price that is 30%-50% above the price of one year ago.

Just saying
1. Go to Gunbroker
2. Look up Woodlawn Boys or Sarah15
3. Open wallet.
;)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Good deals are out there. It true that there are a lot of ridiculous prices being asked, but every once in a while a great deal pops up. It just takes time and a little patience. Kinda' like hunting... 😉

I just got back from a road trip to pick up this nice old Marlin model 93 30-30. It is in excellent condition mechanically but the stock was refinished so I got it for a good price. Added bonus was the newer Marbles tang sight which usually sell new for $120+. Deducting that from the total price paid, I figure I got the Marlin for under $400.

My first purchase of the new year. Got lucky as I was the first to respond to the ad on a local classified board. The seller had several other buyers waiting in the wings in case I didn't show up.

My last purchase of 2020 was a nicely used Model 10-9 that was listed for about half of the going rate. Bought it off a young dude who was saving up for a more modern "tactical" firearm. The shop owner who handled the paper work said he was hoping I wouldn't show so he could buy it.
Keep looking!

John

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know Woodlawn Boys. He operates over in AL and participates in every SWCA convention.

I say he has already brought the prices of older A+ S&W guns up to the maximum price. Furthermore, I am not interested in a rare $10,000-$30,000+ revolver.

I am thinking in the $800-$2000 range for a nice 4-screw or 5-screw gun. I own some:

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
,,I just got back from a road trip to pick up this nice old Marlin model 93 30-30.
This is what I am looking for. I would pay well over the $400 as it is worth ~$750.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
This is what I am looking for. I would pay well over the $400 as it is worth ~$750.
That's what I figured. Nice older Marlins in original condition are going for well over 1K hereabouts. When I first contacted the seller for pics he was explicit in pointing out that the stocks were refinished and so therefore it was not a collector grade rifle. I responded that I was looking for a shooter, not a safe queen. The bore BTW is in very good shape.
I've been looking for a decent older Marlin or Winchester 94 carbine for shooting pleasure. Until now, all I've seen are either over priced or in pretty ratty shape. Or both. I'm happy with this one. Now I just have to wait for my new membership card from the shooting club to come so I can get out to the range!

John

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
..That's what I figured. Nice older Marlins in original condition are going for well over 1K hereabouts.
John,
I respectfully disagree with your price range. It is lower.

I have this Marlin 336C with scope:

Furthermore,
I own some Winchester Model 94:

These are all Winchester (two are pre-1964).

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
1911, I was referring to the older Marlins, pre WWII and older, before the model 336 rifles. I guess I consider any thing made after I was born to be new. 🙂
As far as the 336 models, yes they are far less. I'm still seeing 30-30 models listing for $450 - 550 here. Even the JM stamped examples. A little more for the 35 Rem or 32 Spcl guns. The CB models, well, they are usually out of my care to reach. And the 1894s and 1895 big bores... well at those prices I rather have a nice old shooter grade rifle from the 50's or 40's or earlier than a modern "classic". So long as they show their age well. But that's just me.
I did see a nice half mag 32-20 Marlin at the Lebanon show last week with a $750 price tag and there was a beautiful 38-55 CB on Armslist up in Erie for $900. But the newer guns don't call to me.

BTW, at this point, my research has narrowed down the manufacture date of my model 93 to between 1920 to 1935, the year Marlin went to the model 36. Serial number is A2663. I suspect it is a circa 1920s gun. There seems to be some confusion with the older Marlin serial numbers.

John

·
Registered
30,036 Posts
I've been looking for a .44 magnum but in no rush. I figure why by the gun if I can't find the ammo. So will be holding off on a purchase for now.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A few years back a coworker asked me if I wanted to buy a Winchester 94 30-30. His friend was hard up for cash and was trying to sell his rifle. I asked him how much and he said $500. firm. As I'm mostly a handgun guy I offered $300 and he declined my offer. Long story short, 2 weeks later he asked if I was still interested and I offered $350 which he accepted. I called Winchester with the serial # and the rifle dates to 1959. I think it was fired 6 times as it came with a 20 rd. box of shells with 6 missing. The rifle has no visible wear marks, nicks, scratches and the blue is perfect. At the time, I was told it was worth $750. Got a soft side case with it to boot.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
When I picked up the Buntline Single Six my LGS friends said they were not getting anything of value in trades. Seems people are holding onto their older guns. However, he said new plastic fantastic handguns and rifles were being bought and never even asked the price. Witness 5 people pick up a couple shotguns, 1 rifle and 2 Taurus handguns (bottom feeders). Never asked the price and never checked to see availability of ammo. All young (under 30) and looked like first time. The older ones just do not seem to be out there.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,844 Posts
Bought a second generation 7 1/2" Colt New Frontier SAA in .44 special yesterday that was on consignment at the LGS. It was manufactured in 1964. Colt only made 125 second generation New Frontier SAA revolvers in .44 special. It included Colt wood grips that fit it. It also had a professional trigger action job and springs. The action is smooth as butter.

·
Premium Member
13,675 Posts
I consigned and sold my Marlin 94 in .30-30 Winchester this summer for $650. It was a great rifle. That is current market in my area.

I still have my .357 Marlin 1894 Cowboy Action carbine with octagon barrel. It unfortunately come to me with a small area of road rash.

Marc

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
Marc, A little TLC should 'cure' the road ash. Do some sanding of the affected area, and use some Birchwood Casey on it. I always keep 'stuff' around just for that purpose. 😉 Bob

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
....I called Winchester with the serial # and the rifle dates to 1959.
Nice find. That is a pre-1964 rifle. They had all forged parts back then. It's worth a bunch more than you paid.
Here is my 1949 (also have a 1950).

·
Registered
21,320 Posts
I'm not really a colletor, when it comes to firearms. I buy quality, and what I like to have. 1911, I too, used to have a Marlin 336C with a Weaver 2 1/2 x scope on it, but I thought it was just too heavy............. for a light, handy, .30-30 lever rifle. I traded it for a Winchester 94 .30-30, and put on a Williams Receiver sight, to keep the weight down.

I love your collection of Winchester lever rifles!!!! I would like to get more Winchesters, but it's pretty hard to find a nice, older one, that hasn't been used quite a bit. I like 'em in very nice 90% +condition. Hopefully, I can find a nice used one, now that everything is at top dollar. (Not a good time to buy a Winchester lever rifle......but they tend to be a little expensive anytime.)

I just have 4 S&W's and 1 Winchester 94 in my collection, at the present time. I also have 2 Rugers, that are my shooter (SR22) and self defense gun (LC9s), and my hunting guns (Savage 20 Ga. single shot and MK I .22 rifle). :) Bob

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Went and did it again. This past Saturday took some trade fodder to the Carlisle Eagle Arms show. It's a small show and I really didn't expect much other than to check out the ammo and reloading situation. The number of vendors was down but it was well attended as compared to past shows. Not a whole lot in the way of firearms but I did see a couple of nice Winchesters in the racks and a Marlin 93 similar to the one I just bought, though priced much higher, even with A finish was best described as bead blasted by age.
An old Winchester model 94 did catch my eye and after a couple turns around the hall I finally went back and asked to check it out. Offered up my 19-3 4" for trade. We haggled a little bit but settled on a little extra cash by me and I took it home.

It dates from 1919 or thereabouts. A true old style Winchester Model 1894 rifle with crescent butt, octagonal barrel and chambered for the old 32-40 Winchester nee Ballard. Bore is clean, finish shows normal were for a 100 year old gun. There is one area of light pitting at the left upper rear corner of the receiver but it cleaned up OK.

Also has a period Marbles tang sight. I have about $900 in it which I think is a fair price. I already load for the 32-40 so am all set. The seller was a very nice young man from down around the Gettysburg area. He has just started up a firearms business and had a nice variety of guns for sale at reasonable prices. He was also a S&W fan, which certainly helped me out in the trade deal. When I mentioned that he should find the 19 an easier sell, he smiled and said that it was staying at home.
It was a very enjoyable transaction.

John

1 - 20 of 36 Posts