Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew has a deer hunt this week out in the Tonapah/Harquahala area so I went with him this morning to glass for him. I reminded him about the whole bad luck thing with me and the area but, he wanted me to go anyway. He had to be back by 9:30 so it was a short morning. Saw nine doe, a spike and two burros. My bad luck with the area continues unabated. Great morning anyway.

·
Super Moderator
11,058 Posts
Beautiful scenery. Might as well be the moon as compared to our hunting grounds in the northeast. Thanks for sharing.

G

·
0 Posts
Very nice view...
Past few days hunting for me had been in 1-3" of fresh snow. My tracking abilities are greatly improved in the snow....must be the cold air. ;)

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Any day out in the woods and not at work is a good day!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was 53 at about 6:00 out there this morning. Was about 65 on the walk out at 8:00. Has been too warm for hunting. The does and first year bucks are by themselves and the bucks are just wandering around by themselves. A good cold spell will fix that. Tracking these things in this area is a bit tough. Too many tracks in powder because we have not had any rain in a month,,,or so. One trail was about eight inches wide and maybe two inches deep in dirt turned to powder {about like sifted flour} with tracks going both ways and on top of yesterdays tire tracks. As you can see in one photo, the area is also a bit rocky with a shale like rock around the hills at the far end of the picture.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
Hey ****, don't blame yourself for too much for poor hunting luck out there. I'm a bit rusty, but I'm reasonably certain that the name "Harquahala" is pre-Spanish Native Arizona Indian that means; "bucks that hide well and laugh often"......! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Beautiful photos, sure is different from my hunting grounds.
After spotting the deer do you stalk up on them or do you set up for a long range shot? Looks like mighty rough countryside for creeping and crawling much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts