Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not much of a revolver guy, but the S&W Model 28 "Highway Patrolman" was the model that got me interested in classic S&W revolvers. By sheer luck I stumbled across a 28-2 at my LGS and decided I needed to pick it up.

From the serial number N226xxx it appears to be a mid '70's build and is in decent condition for its age. Lockup is tight and the action is smooth. No rust or corrosion that I can see. There is some loss of bluing in certain spots and some swirls on the finish that I'm unsure how to remove, so I'll need to research how to do some gentle restoration/preservation of the finish.

I'll post some pics later after work. Hope to hit the range this weekend. Side note, 357 Mag ammo seems plentiful, albeit expensive, but 38 SPL is still very difficult to find around here.

·
Premium Member
12,958 Posts
I'm sure you will like your 28-2. I bought mine in 2016 and enjoy it very much. It is an "S" prefix s/n and shipped Nov 1962. It almost makes shooting .357's fun.

Revolver Light Air gun Trigger Gun barrel

The magna stocks match the gun but I did pick up a set of target stocks and a box from the same era.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Blue Gun barrel

Shoulder Amber Neck Orange Sleeve

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm sure you will like your 28-2. I bought mine in 2016 and enjoy it very much. It is an "S" prefix s/n and shipped Nov 1962. It almost makes shooting .357's fun.

The magna stocks match the gun but I did pick up a set of target stocks and a box from the same era.

View attachment 555970
The stocks are very close to S&W “Coke” stocks of that era. Are they custom grips or off the shelf?
Anyone here who owns an early 28 would be interested to know where to obtain them.

·
Premium Member
12,958 Posts
The stocks are very close to S&W “Coke” stocks of that era. Are they custom grips or off the shelf?
Anyone here who owns an early 28 would be interested to know where to obtain them.
Never was able to figure out the mystery of the grips. I bought them from a member of this forum back in 2016. Some thought they were cokes, some thought Sanderson's and some thought Eagles.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
17,147 Posts
Never was able to figure out the mystery of the grips. I bought them from a member of this forum back in 2016. Some thought they were cokes, some thought Sanderson's and some thought Eagles.
Looks like Altamont grips to me

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Looks like Altamont grips to me
Not to me. Altamont uses walunt with pressed checkering and the S&W medallions. These appear to be a better quality walnut with hand cut fine line checkering without medallions. Notice how the checkered pattern is like the original pre-’67 grips rather than the pattern used after ‘67 on target grips. They look better quality or custom to me.
Compare with the cut form the Altamont site.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,958 Posts
Pretty sure they are not Altamont. They did have SND written on the inside of both panels.
Brown Wood Sculpture Brick Art

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It has been a LONG time since I visited the range, and finally had the chance yesterday. Started with some cool and smoky Remington .38 Special through the HP. This is as solid and tight as a new gun, with the smoothness of a well-broken in trigger. SA at medium range is fantastic. Next range trip requires some magnums. Followed up with the P229 Legion, also a fun toy, but something about this big 28-2 puts a smile on my face.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts