Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing very exciting about this. Just a Rock Island 1911 Government.

Not near as nice as what most of y'all have! But, still.. it shoots straight and is well built. Nice entry-level pistol..

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Carl,
1911s like yours is all business. :mrgreen:

Mine's been shot a lot & rebuilt several times...]

Su Amigo,
Dave

(edited for language, English)

·
Registered
570 Posts
you know, I've been thinking about one of those,, I hear that they are not bad out of the box, and also make a great "base gun" for modification,,,RIA had them on sale not too long ago, I wish I would have gotten one then , but base price is still reasonable..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Carl, putting those nice stocks on your gun, really made it look nice. If it was mine I probably wouldn't do anything else. I don't like all them bells and whistles on one.

All I need to do now is get you some bullets cast for it ;)

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kritter,
I'm pleased with this one. For the money, it's a pretty decent pistol.

Jesse,
I agree. I did change out the grips, but that's as far as I'm going. It does everything I want it to do right now.. And, I bet even better with your bullets! :D

Dave,
Just curious.. how long have you had yours? If you've had to rebuild it several times, you must have shot the snot out of it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
507 Posts
carl418 said:
kritter,
I did change out the grips, but that's as far as I'm going.

There ya go! You decided how you're gonna carry it?
f.t.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Congrats on your new toy, they're good guns! kfjdrfirii

When it comes to 1911's some "Gun Snobs" go off the hook if it isn't one of their "Name Brand" choices.

I personally can't see paying $2,500-$3,500 for a "tricked out" 1911 with a high profile gunsmith's name on it that the "owner" can't shoot better than 4" groups with.

You can buy a stainless steel Taurus 1911 just as "tricked out" for around $600-$700 that will shoot just as good.

While on active duty I carried some pretty rough looking 1911's of dubious background with mags made by the lowest bidder that protected my hide well enough that I'm still here all these years later!

Soooo...bottom line, if you link a "1911" of any brand, and it's 100% reliable, God bless you, and go in peace! weiweinp

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
carl418 said:
Dave,
Just curious.. how long have you had yours? If you've had to rebuild it several times, you must have shot the snot out of it! :mrgreen:

Carl,
Yeah, had it a long while and shot thousand of rounds out of it...

Su Amigo,
Dave

(edited for language, English)

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You decided how you're gonna carry it?
Been thinkin' about that.. I'm so used to carrying a J frame that a full size 1911 seems huge in comparison.

What do y'all think about cross draw? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
carl418 said:
You decided how you're gonna carry it?
Been thinkin' about that.. I'm so used to carrying a J frame that a full size 1911 seems huge in comparison.

What do y'all think about cross draw? Suggestions?
I've tried several styles of holsters for a 1911 and finally found a comfortable one that will conceal under a short, light jacket. It's offered by Springfield Armory and I got it from TxPete here on the S&W Forum:

One of the nice things about 1911s is the thin profile for such a large autopistol. A modified pancake-style holster like this one is stable, distributes the weight over a broad area, rides high, and holds the pistol close to the body for good concealment. Besides all that, it is the most comfortable holster I've had for my 1911. I prefer not to - but if I slide the holster under my belt, it conceals the rig even more.

Crossdraw holsters are great for riding in a vehicle, but are very hard to conceal.

The real secret to comfortably carrying a big auto or revolver is a sturdy belt that won't twist and turn and firmly supports the holster.

xtm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts