Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the next one up.. I hope y'all ain't gettin' too bored! perkgfn

Model 17 no dash, circa 1959. All original including numbered grips.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Carl,
That photo is outstanding.
The gun is also pretty neat :lol:
Don

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice work Carl !!!

That pic is outstanding !! I think I`ll miss the kitchen counter thou . :lol:

Is that your first M 17 ??

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Ralph! Haven't seen you here for a while..

As for the Model 17, I've had it for a while.. I got it about 3 years ago.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I`m sorry Carl , I did`nt see that these were trial posts . I thought you picked up another one .

You know what happens when you assume !! :lol:

You done good bud !!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I Love K-22s...... and picked up this 17 no dash not long ago .... K408,500

I was lucky, it came with the original box. Many thanks to my friend Cush for connecting me with this Smith.

It was also the last K-22 I needed for a straight flush. I now have one (or more) of each Model, Issue and Engineering Change (- number) from the 1st Outdoorsman's through the -6 where I loose interest. 1931-1993.

K-22's are like crack... very addictive.... In my pile I have the Oldest Known Post War Third Issue....

... and what I believe to be the last 5-screw, K258,472. Thanks to my pal N-Frame for that one... Several times I quizzed the entire population over on the Blue Board and no one had a later serial numbered 5-screw.... If anyone here has a later serial numbered 5-screw, I'd be pleased to know about it so I don't go around bragging too much....

Then there is this pair of unfired, complete guns, brand new, still in the factory grease....

I think I can stop now... I think I have them all..... and the number seems appropriate... 22 pieces all togeather....

Drew

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very impressive, Drew!

I thought our no-dashes might be close, so I checked mine... Not so close after all. Mine is K361360.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Carl, I also have a small subcollection in my stash of Pre-Model Marked 4-screws.... K269,429 is just such a K-22...

By K260,000 the uppersideplate screw was gone... the first Combat Magnums were in this range and from all I have ever seen, they are all 4-screw guns, and not model marked.

I'll bet your K361,360 was a very early no-dash...

K425,921 is a 17-1 which also lives with me....

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I had a 17-1 for a while. When I got it a 4X Leupold was on it (yuk, 4X?!) and it had goodyears. The original rear sight missing of course.
Sometimes I think I shouldn't have sold the gun, with the dash 1, but I did-nobody coughed up an original replacement sight, though I hunted for a while and asked in the forums, and what I got from the factory was just a bit too long. I did find some really nice correct grips, and looking back now I kind of wish I'd been more patient for the rear sight. Oh well. The 4X scope I traded off for a 4X Leupold rifle scope. That is currently on a 25-06 I no longer use (got in to a .257 Roberts, need I say more?), and I am thinking of putting it on an AR.
Drew you've seen my oldest K22, a 1st model Outdoorsman with KB Ropers, and also K5678, I also have a nice enough '53 pre 18. Trimmed myself down to 3 right now, but as I type a 17-2 has been offered to me...heh heh!
You guys have me beat by a mile, those are nice! The K22 has to be among the top 3 best all around handguns of all time.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Geoff40 said:
Drew you've seen my ..... K5678....
Yeah, I see it everynight in my dreams just before I wake up with nightsweats..... :?

"K-5,6,7,8..." Was your K-22 once owned by Lawrence Welk? :lol:

Just like I said.... worse than crack. :lol:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sebago Son said:
I Love K-22s...... and picked up this 17 no dash not long ago .... K408,500

I was lucky, it came with the original box. Many thanks to my friend Cush for connecting me with this Smith.

It was also the last K-22 I needed for a straight flush. I now have one (or more) of each Model, Issue and Engineering Change (- number) from the 1st Outdoorsman's through the -6 where I loose interest. 1931-1993.

Drew
After all you've done for me, putting you on the final piece to your K22 puzzle was the least I could do. :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
[quote.
... and what I believe to be the last 5-screw, K258,472. Thanks to my pal N-Frame for that one... Several times I quizzed the entire population over on the Blue Board and no one had a later serial numbered 5-screw.... If anyone here has a later serial numbered 5-screw, I'd be pleased to know about it so I don't go around bragging too much....
Drew[/quote]

Drew.
I have K 258,689. 6 inch, 5 screw, service trigger, .500 target hammer, relieved diamond target stocks. As new, no box.
Bill

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
RdrBill said:
[quote.
Drew
Drew.
I have K 258,689. 6 inch, 5 screw, service trigger, .500 target hammer, relieved diamond target stocks. As new, no box.
Bill[/quote]

Damn Bill.... ruined my night!..... :? Now I have to go fall on my sword like a Japanese General.... unless of course you wanna trade.... :lol:

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn.. I was just showing off my latest attempt at photography and it leads to Drew falling on a sword!!

I had planned on taking some more tomorrow.. I wonder what they'll lead to! nfiofnp

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
carl418 said:
Damn.. I was just showing off my latest attempt at photography and it leads to Drew falling on a sword!!

I had planned on taking some more tomorrow.. I wonder what they'll lead to! nfiofnp
Well Carl, if you post another picture of an absolutely stunning nickel 57 shipped in my birth year of 1971 it may be I who falls on the sword.

Did I ever tell you that I'm a .41 nut, and don't yet have a nickel 57? ;)

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the photos.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Not so fast!!!!
You need reminding: nothing the factory did made sense, including the lack of following serial number sequences for delivering guns. With numbers that close you both know only by lettering can you tell...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts