Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 38 Special Model 10-5 Snubnose from dad, serial # C940582. Used as daily carry in police work. Might anyone know the era of manufacture, possibly collectibility? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Welcome to a great forum. According to the standard catalog of Smith & Wesson it looks to be 1967. It’s considered a K frame. A model 10 snubby with the fixed sites is a very desirable concealed carry piece. Post some pictures if you can. Being from your dad makes it priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your reply...here are a few pics. I can try for clearer pics if needed. Still confused about the cartridge issues from other postings. I have 3 boxes of "38 Special" ammunition of different brands and grains...all fit in the cylinder nicely and it closes fine. Plenty of clearance. I guess the question is: how is "Smith & Wesson" 38 Special ammo typically marked on manufacturer boxes?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
all that I have looked at is labeled 38 Special or 38 S&W Special on the box and cartridge head stamp. 38 S&W is a shorter and fatter cartridge that will not chamber in a 38 special. disclaimer: if I’m wrong I have no doubt that one of the other, more knowledgeable members will be along to politely correct me.
The extra piece on the grip looks like an early “Tyler T-Grip” and enhances control of the revolver.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
Personally, I think that extra piece on the grip is a Pachmayr one from when they made things in CA. My dad's Colt snub has the same item on it.

As to 38Spl. ammo; any of the ammo marked on the box as "38 Special", or "38 Smith & Wesson Special" or "38 S&W Special" will all be the same. Typical load was a 158 grain bullet. More modern loading seem to favor a lighter 125 grain bullet. I know all of my 38 and 357s prefer the 158 gr LSWC (Lead Semi Wadcutter) design for accuracy.
You have a great revolver and an excellent choice for concealed carry

Reactions: Digger

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
That's a very nice M-10 snubby. Collectible guns generally have to be mint or nearly so, but the snub nosed model 10's are sought by those who shoot & carry them in almost any workable condition. For insurance purposes I would value that at $550-600 minimum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts