Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie: Why is my S&W M&P Shield referred to as a Luger? Should I use 9mm Luger ammo

Hi everyone! I am new to shooting 9mms (started shooting just this past spring on 22s), I just ordered a S&W M&P Performance Center 9mm which I will get this weekend. I see that it is referred to as Luger. Should I use Luger 9mm ammo in it? When I googled Luger ammo, there was a picture of regular 9mm ammo and Luger 9mm ammo. The Luger ammo cartridge is tapered and the regular 9mm is straight cylindrical. Here is a link to that image:

The difference between 9mm Luger and 9mm Auto - and why you may have feed problems

What should I use in my new pistol?

(Yikes 9mm ammo is pricey compared to 22mm! I may have to get a day job LOL)

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
It's pretty much the same round. I shoot the same round in my Luger as I do in my Sig 228, no problems.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
9x19mm, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum, or 9mm NATO, it's the same. Your new M&P should be fine with all the naming conventions.

Now, you get to decide what brand, bullet weight & configuration you want for a self defense round.

:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Ok then - I'll try my hubby's ammo for now - he bought bulk 9mm a while ago for his CCP & VP9 pistols that seems to work well for him. Appreciate your detailed reply and all other replies!

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the above information is correct. By the way .22 ammo is caliber not mm (millimeter), caliber refers to bullet diameter - there are 100 caliber per inch. .22 caliber is 22/100", .45 = 45/100", .50 = 50/100" (or 1/2"), etc.. Metric ammo used in European designed ammo also measures diameter but in millimeters (mm). Don't be bashful, there's lots of good, friendly, helpful folks here.

·
Premium Member
12,670 Posts
Here's the SAAMI standard specification for the 9mm Luger ammunition your 9mm Luger S&W Shield was designed to work with:

http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Pistol/9mm Luger - 9mm Luger +P.pdf

The 9mm Luger cartridge is a "straight walled" cartridge that has been in usage in one form or another for 112 years. It has many names, and it looks like someone is trying to add an additional variation that they can brand and sell as "9mm Automatic". It's pure marketing.

When your gun fires a cartridge, the brass (which is malleable) is pushed out against the chamber wall by the pressure of the powder. This seals the brass for a moment in the chamber while the bullet is pushed out of the cartridge, into the leade and down the rifling in the barrel. After the bullet leaves the barrel, the pressure is spent and the brass springs back a bit away from the sides of the chamber. This allows the cartridge to be extracted from the chamber so that the next cartridge can be loaded in.

I personally don't like steel cased cartridges, and much prefer the reliability of brass cased cartridges. Steel isn't as "springy" as brass, and sometimes guns have problems extracting it reliably.

Just buy standard velocity 9mm Luger FMJ (Full metal jacket) ammunition. Your new gun should work fine with any number of brands. Stick with brass cased ammo. It costs a few cents more per round, but is worth it.

Reactions: bearcat6

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is fab info Marc! I love your very detailed explanation and appreciate it very much. I am learning loads today. Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
What they all said! Welcome to the forum! Pretty much any factory 9mm will work in your Shield (excellent choice, by the way!!)- just be sure it's not something "off" like 9mm Largo or 9mm Kurtz. Largo is a tad longer, and 9mm Kurtz is also .380 ACP, a much shorter round. I had a gun labelled 9mm Kurtz, and the guy behind the counter didn't have a clue what to put in it. Later on found out "kurtz" meant "short" and that it was also .380... You'd be hard pressed to find 9mm Largo anywhere except maybe a gun museum!

Wanna get confused? I know it's not fair when you're asking 'early-on' questions (just like I was asking a few years ago~)...

Did you know that 9mm, .380 ACP, .38 Special, .38 S&W, .38 Long Colt and .357 Magnum are all essentially the same diameter bullet? 9mm= 0.3543in. All I mentioned are .354 plus or minus a thousandth or 2, in diameter. So why is a .38 Special really a .35 (or rounded, a .36)? I'm told "marketing". ".38" just sounded better. I know there are some who know the story more accurately and will fill us in! The only ones not exaggerating are the 9mm and the .357 Magnum monikers.

Of course you can't fire those rounds in a gun not designed for it. The casing diameters, construction (some are revolver rounds), and lengths all vary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whoa that is pretty cool & detailed info SDISMUKES!!! I am going to read and reread all these replies so they soak into my brain. Thanks so very very much!

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Yeahhhh.... you gotta be careful about asking questions on this forum. You are going to get answers, a lot of them, and some will be more detailed than you anticipated. There are some really sharp gun-folks on this forum (I'm not one), I mean they *really* know their stuff. Best of all, they love to share with anyone inquisitive and willing to learn! Folks like you flip our switches and out come the answers!

What I really appreciate from the folks on this forum in particular is the attitude "there are no stupid questions", and "live and let live". We don't flame anyone for a misspelling, get annoyed over trivia; in all we are a very friendly bunch and love folks who think the same way. When I was teaching I treated every question from my students like it was an intelligent and well-reasoned question. Sometimes NOT the case, but I treated it that way. This forum carries that thought forward!

Hope you stick around, and keep asking questions!! I learned something from YOUR first post in that there are tapered 9mm cartridges... Did not know that!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes for sure...love the friendliness. I was pleasantly surprised to get such quick answers back to help me. You guys are all amazing. This will definitely be my go-to place to get answers specific to my new weapon!

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
Smith and Wesson calls my M&P Shield 9mm a M&P Shield 9mm. No Luger in the name at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are a few links that describe it or it's ammo as Luger.

This one says 9mm Luger ammo if you scroll down half ways:

Smith & Wesson Performance Center® Ported M&P®9 SHIELD™ 9mm Pistol | Academy

and here the picture captions say Luger:

Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm Luger vs Springfield XD Mod. 2 9mm Luger - Guns Co...

You make a good point though...I know that there are lots of crapfacts on the internet if you search enough. :) But of course, once I came across that, I had to ask the experts. :)

But you are right...I can't find anywhere on the S&W website that calls it a Luger!

·
Super Moderator
11,415 Posts
It's just another name for the same thing. Though I can see where it would be confusing for a newcomer. The same situation exists for many cartridges, actually.

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
It has been my experience that "Luger" refers to the ammo and not the weapon. But I am not an expert in these things.

(when talking things Smith & Wesson)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts