Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!
I love my K-22, and I have always wondered when it was made, since it is a 5-screw SERIAL NUMBER K380XXX. that I bought slightly used. Boy, does it ever shoot!
Could one of you fine folks tell me when it was made, and do you by any chance have S&W's phone number? I would like to get it reblued by S&W, especially since I shoot it a lot, and the finish is getting thin.
Thanks for your kind help.
Amanda

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
First off, welcome01 to the forum!
Second, according to 'The Book', K380XXX would be 1959 and would be model number marked. ????
Third, Yours may be old enough that S&W won't work on it. Not sure if I would have it reblued. Nothing wrong with an honest finish on a working gun {IMHO}
S&W customer support
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01104
Tel: 1-800-331-0852 , ext. 2905 • 413-781-8300
E-mail: [email protected]
Again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Hi. Welcome to the forum. Home of some S&W collectors and shooters.
I will question your serial number, K380XXX and the five screw frame. Are you sure? That serial range is a bit past the change from 5 screw to 4 screw. You might check that serial number again or count the screw's again. If that number really is a five screw frame, you have an unusual gun.
Everyone wants to see a pic of your K22, it is fairly easy to post a pic if you follow the instruction for such posted on this forum.
Keep posting.
[email protected]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RdrBill at Yuma,
I am glad you asked the question. My shooting bud at work acted like he knew more about my Model 17 than I did, so I wrote what he told me. I won't be doing that again, even if I do let him shoot a brick of Wolf MT through the pistol again. I got home late and inspected the Model 17.
It is a 4-screw "Model 17", as it says inside the yoke. I took the grips off and they are numbered, but they don't match the guns serial number. Much as I would enjoy having an "unusual" S&W, I am quite content to have an accurate one with a sweet trigger. Since this is a keeper, I have asked S&W if they would reblue it, as I won't do anything with it but shoot the snot out of it, and I like a nicely blued revolver.
There is the serial number and the M-17 inside the yoke on the frame side, and some other numbers on the other side of the yoke. I just ordered what you guys call your S&W Knowledge book, so maybe I'll eventually find out about these things. I appreciate that you guys take the time to share your hard-earned knowledge, and really like reading about all of your finds.
Thank you!
Amanda

·
Super Moderator
19,377 Posts
Amanda,
So good to have you back.
The guy's forgot to tell you that the little ol' .22 you have is so old and wore out, with the finish going south and all..... it might only be worth, oh' let's say, um' maybe $200 bucks. Now I'm feelin' real texas generous here, and I'll offer you....oh' let's say,,,,,,,,, how's about $400 bucks to make sure nobody takes advantage of you fLPIGNOk . kihfL
I just want to be favorable to you here.

JUST Kidding, sounds like you've got a really nice piece of hardware there.
I'm not sure that I'd get it reblued. It has history and you're not going to sell it........ right?
Keep it lightly oiled and clean, and enjoy it for sure.

Welcome back. Now that you have been here twice, your one of us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello folks,
Thanks for your help with my K-22. Per S&W, who surprised me and answered their email within 24hrs, it was made in 1959. They also quoted "about $190" to reblue and polish. I can hear the purists groan, but since I have several beautiful Colt Pythons and Diamondbacks kubvcabo , I have learned to enjoy a great blue revolver. I like my guns like my corvette, spotless.
We will see.
Thanks for your help!
Amanda

·
Registered
197 Posts
Amanda, nothing wrong with having "nice stuff" and as for the gun getting reblued, my opinion is to have the factory do the work, they built the gun in the first place and will check it all out for you...and it will come back looking like "new".......that price sounds fair to us as we have been in the refinish business for many years, been retired for a while now but keep in touch with many of the 'smiths & shops around.....yes you could get it "cheaper' but thats exactly what you'd get, so do it right....... ihjf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts