Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m new to having this gun. I was wondering am I able to use .223 bullets? I know I would have to get a .223 magazine but just wondering

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
No, the gun is made for 22 long rifle only. If you could somehow fit a 223 into the chamber it would blow the gun up since 223 runs at a much higher pressure. Also the chamber end of the barrel would not accommodate a 223 shell. Since 22 long rifle is a rimfire round and 223 is centerfire round, the firing pin would not work, nor is the bolt and recoil spring heavy duty enough, so there is no way it would work....but if it did, your gun would blow up.
Never shoot ammo in a gun, other than what is intended for that gun

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
Much much Appreciated. Some one told me I could switch the upper out
The lower on the 15-22 is made so you can’t put a standard AR upper on it. I believe it is narrower. Other AR parts like triggers, pistol grips, bipods and such will work, but its strictly a 22 caliber platform. Even if you somehow managed to fit an AR upper, a standard AR platform magazine won’t fit into the magwell

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
Swapping the upper would not work either. S&W did that on purpose. Enjoy your 15-22 - they are a ton of fun to shoot. Save your pennies for a real AR as well. they are also a lot of fun and contrary to what the press and gun grabbers say, have many uses.

·
Super Moderator
33,330 Posts
Welcome to the forum! As noted you have a .22 LR so no just shoot it and then get the MP15 if you want a 5.56/.223 rifle.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
24,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Get youself some .22LR ammo and have fun. The M&P 15 Sport 2 is what you want to get if an AR15 is what you seek. Enjoy the 15-22!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts