Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I think this is a GREAT forum. I recently purchased a Model 629-4 with a 4" barrel. The revolver has the red insert front sight (not pinned, and not interchangeable) with an adjustable white outline rear sight. Since there are now more candles on my cake than I'd like to admit, the factory iron sights won't work for me. I bought the gun to take with me when I'm hunting in bear country and want sights that will allow me to acquire the target FAST and accurately. Since the front sight isn't pinned and isn't interchangeable what option do I have for replacing the front sight with something brighter? Also what option do I have for the rear sight? I checked Metprolight and it looked good. Anything else out there?

Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
For the money, less than $100, I like the Bushnell Trophy Red Dot. Mostly for targets and bowling pins, it works great on my M-17! At 60.....I know where you're coming from about eyes. For hunting at closer ranges, < 50yds., and for larger game only, because the dot tends to cover the POA/POI at longer distances..

A low powered scope (2X) would be your best other option. The crosshairs allow you to fine tune your shot. ;) For hunting, I would go with the 2X scope. Bob

·
Administrator
8,094 Posts
If you want to replace the front sight, try this guy. He does really excellent work.

http://www.sdmfabricating.com/

It takes a little poking around to find the prices, but he'll convert an integral front sight to a Classic & DX interchangeable base for $135. From there, you can put just about any type of front sight you want on it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I have a red dot scope I've used on 3 different revolvers, a couple of 629s. I currently just sighted it in on my latest one and I really like it. I feel that the red dot method is great for getting on target quickly. (I posted results and pics of sighting in on this forum and the Gunsmith forum as well, "629 virgin no more" & "New barrel break in?" respectfully. )

The illumination in itself is a great help especially in low light. Most have adjustable dot intensity or dot size.

Red dot systems are not the same as cross hair scopes. In that you don't "aim" through the scope, you see the target with a dot at point of view.

You do this with both eyes open and just look at target, bring dot in line of view and fire. This is vs. seeing target, bringing gun up and closing weak eye and look through scope, while losing sight of target for a moment of time, re-sighting target, line up target onto cross hairs, fire.

The reason this works better is that using both eyes you see target normally, dominate eye is in play normally and never lose sight of target, you only see dot on target, not the scope. Of course you can look through the scope same as regular scopes but this works much, much faster.

Dave

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Thinking about it a little more, most scopes/red dots add extra bulk and weight to a revolver. Also, for carry, you have to get a special holster.

For self defense out in the wilds, I prefer iron sights. It makes for an easy tote option in a belt holster. I now realize that this is what you are asking about!!!! jvp9gjpa Your best option is to get the Hi Vis type with the V notch rear. They are easy to carry in a regular holster. I don't need one of these, but, it would be a worthwhile investment for areas with big bears, mountain lions, and other things that can kill you. kfjdrfirii Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who took the time to reply. Now with the info. I have I can make a decision and also check out the website from one of the replies. Thanks again to all who replied.

/Tony

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There's a company ou there whose name escapes me right now that makes what's called Express-sights for handguns. It's a wide Vee-notch rear and a Fiber-Optic front. Very fast acquisition but not fine enough for real accuracy. Great for snap-shooting.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Dave mentioned a fiber optic front sight. They are not XS sights, but gather the available light, to make them highly visible. They are usually long bodied sights, to gather the light. I know what he is talking about......just don't know the company. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I also have not been aware of XSsights offering a fiber-optic front site but one could mix and match if that was their preference. Deep V on the rear and fiber optic on the front. Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts