Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a box of Federal Premium Tactical HST 124 9mm Luger (+P) to use as self defense rounds in my S&W Shield. I read that these may cause more wear and tear on my new gun. Did I make a newbie mistake? Since 9mm ammo is so hard to find, I thought it was better than nothing. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
You can shoot it, but it's not for regular range shooting. A few rounds into a perp won't mess up your gun.

I get regular pressure ball ammo for the range, and +p hollow points for carry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My plan was to shoot a few rounds at the range just to get the feel for it, then only load these for defense. I want to use FMJ 115 rounds as my target & practice ammo... when I can get it.

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
You'll find you need to get some standard velocity ammo for training with your Shield. You may find controlling the recoil and follow through on your very light polymer framed compact pistol difficult at first. If so, seek training with someone that can observe you shooting and coach you.

Read the S&W instruction manual for their comments on shooting overpressure (+P) ammo in their products.

Right now, ammo is in more demand than can be supplied, so you'll need some patience. Eventually things will return to balance, and you'll find what you need at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Thanks. My plan was to shoot a few rounds at the range just to get the feel for it, then only load these for defense. I want to use FMJ 115 rounds as my target & practice ammo... when I can get it.
That works. You'll find the +p to be very snappy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You've got the right idea. It would be ideal to run at least a couple of mags through your run, just to make sure they function correctly and that the rounds are going where you're trying to put them. But, buy the cheap FMJ rounds for regular target practice. Every year or so, buy some new self defense ammo and shoot up the ones you're carrying in your gun for protection.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
It's no different than running your car at 80 all the time and not 60; 10's of thousand rounds from now you'll have a well worn gun if firing a lot of +P. Firing normal-pressure ammo you'll just have a worn gun. it's a good idea to fire a mag-full of your carry ammo to be sure it'll feed, and that you know what to expect when the gun goes off. From your responses so far, it sounds like you have the right handle on the process.

Carry on.... You're fine.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've got the right idea. It would be ideal to run at least a couple of mags through your run, just to make sure they function correctly and that the rounds are going where you're trying to put them. But, buy the cheap FMJ rounds for regular target practice. Every year or so, buy some new self defense ammo and shoot up the ones you're carrying in your gun for protection.
Great suggestion to buy new each year. Tkx.

·
Super Moderator
35,641 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree with the above, find some practice ammo and no real issue with how little you are likely to shoot the HST loads as a carry load.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
Sounds like a good plan to me. You could run 100's if not thousands of the plus P rounds through your Shield and worst results would be it wears out in 75,000 rounds instead of 80,000. Seeing as how they are expensive and there is no sense in beating up your hand or your gun for practice, its best to shoot a few now and then, but mainly shoot regular pressure ammo. If you run across 124gr range ammo it is just as good as 115gr and will not wear your gun out faster

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you can find 124 grain ball ammo for practice it would be better. The 124 gr ball and 124 gr +P carry load will both shoot to the same point of aim point of impact. The 115 will probably shoot to a lower point of impact.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts