Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help. I just bought a 38 special. I have searched and searched with very little solid information. It has a 4 inch barrel, nickel, serial B 605xxx. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Where on the gun did you find that serial number? 5 shot or 6 shot? Fixed sights or adjustable rear sight? What is stamped on the barrel? Are the hammer & trigger nickel plated? Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hello JG1980 and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!!

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
22,276 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!:)

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
10,828 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your new revolver.

Many firearms can fire the .38 special round. We need to see some good sharp photos to be of much help.

If you're new to handling firearms, I suggest you find a NRA certified firearms instructor and take a Basic Pistol class. The class will teach safe handling, improve familiarity with your revolver, and help you shoot accurately.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
390 Posts
I need a little help. I just bought a 38 special. I have searched and searched with very little solid information. It has a 4 inch barrel, nickel, serial B 605xxx. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
May I hazard a guess?

If you found that number on the barrel's underside, the gun was originally blued (=B), and most likely a .38 Military & Police model, which the serial 605xxx would put around 1929. Check for the same serial on the bottom of the butt. If I guessed right, there should not be a B there.

Without picture confirmation, that's a bit of Sherlocking, though. :D

·
Premium Member
11,481 Posts
welcome01 to the forum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
May I hazard a guess?

If you found that number on the barrel's underside, the gun was originally blued (=B), and most likely a .38 Military & Police model, which the serial 605xxx would put around 1929. Check for the same serial on the bottom of the butt. If I guessed right, there should not be a B there.

Without picture confirmation, that's a bit of Sherlocking, though. :D
I agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,481 Posts
s/n 6078xx, a .38 M&P 4" barrel, shipped 6/29.

·
Premium Member
18,662 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! I'll go along with the folks that think it is an M&P. Especially if it looks something like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts