Smith And Wesson Forums banner

New (used) shooter

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  tmac4468 
#1 ·
Hello - after doing some reading here and other sites, I took the plunge and picked up a new shooter.

I had a 629 6" in the late 80's, sold it when I was sent overseas, haven't had another Smith until this week.

I was looking for another 6", but after my reading and searching, I ended up getting a 629-4 classic 5", that per the prior owner has been shot less than 75 times (condition looks like it).

The gun has been customized a little, plain black front sight, magnaported, action job (wolff springs, trigger is super!) and ball detent on crane (all done by Cylinder and Slide, have the work order/receipt). Also has Herrett stocks to go with the Hogues.

Got it for $550 - sound like a reasonable price for a shooter?

Thanks, Tim

#4 ·
tmac sounds like you got a pretty good deal. In my book, any S&W worked over by Cylinder & Slide is going to be a good shooter. I'm lucky enough to live a short drive from C&S and have a few guns that have had trigger work done. They are great to work with and there work is second to none.

#5 ·
Tim,
Good for you!
I'd say that you got a good bargain for the gun, as-described.
These days, it's getting hard to find anything special in the $ 500 area.
Like the others, I'm anxious to see some photos of your new prize.
Don
;)

#12 ·
Finally got to the range last month, 25yd sight in groups (three shots each) from bench. Looks like she'll shoot better than I can... Sorry the pics are a little blurry...

I wasn't sure how the grips would feel, and if the lack of checkering would cause the pistol to slip too much on recoil, but they are very comfortable and easy to keep a grip on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.