Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - after doing some reading here and other sites, I took the plunge and picked up a new shooter.

I had a 629 6" in the late 80's, sold it when I was sent overseas, haven't had another Smith until this week.

I was looking for another 6", but after my reading and searching, I ended up getting a 629-4 classic 5", that per the prior owner has been shot less than 75 times (condition looks like it).

The gun has been customized a little, plain black front sight, magnaported, action job (wolff springs, trigger is super!) and ball detent on crane (all done by Cylinder and Slide, have the work order/receipt). Also has Herrett stocks to go with the Hogues.

Got it for $550 - sound like a reasonable price for a shooter?

Thanks, Tim

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
Tim,
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds to me like you did just fine.
When do we get to see pics?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Welcome, we need pictures! nugfaong

·
Registered
90 Posts
tmac sounds like you got a pretty good deal. In my book, any S&W worked over by Cylinder & Slide is going to be a good shooter. I'm lucky enough to live a short drive from C&S and have a few guns that have had trigger work done. They are great to work with and there work is second to none.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Tim,
Good for you!
I'd say that you got a good bargain for the gun, as-described.
These days, it's getting hard to find anything special in the $ 500 area.
Like the others, I'm anxious to see some photos of your new prize.
Don
;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Nice find, congrats! Definitely agree with the need for pics.

welcome aboard!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Congrats. No other bbl length balances as well on an N-frame as a 5". I'm sure many here will agree with me.
f.t.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Very nice. The Herrett's look great!
f.t.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got to the range last month, 25yd sight in groups (three shots each) from bench. Looks like she'll shoot better than I can... Sorry the pics are a little blurry...

I wasn't sure how the grips would feel, and if the lack of checkering would cause the pistol to slip too much on recoil, but they are very comfortable and easy to keep a grip on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks - the gun will do better, not sure if I can though. The C&S trigger is awesome, which I would give the most credit too. From the C&S documents it is 3.5 lbs (single action), and is like glass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts