Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sold off 7 guns in the past several weeks (mostly non-S&W) and upgraded a couple rifles because of fear of unknown politics. I had a weak moment or whatever you call it, as I bought another 44 last week. I'm trying to downsize and this was not planned.
This gun was important to be as I never owned in my life, a 4" N frame. So I located this on the internet and it was advertised as "like new". I clicked buy now and the money was sent.
Today, I went to pick it up. Boy oh boy, I'm happy with this one! I finally own a 4 inch 44!

I got it home, then I opened it up and gave it a good cleaning, a spring change, tuned a few things and then polished out the few handling marks on the outside. I went to my grip box and I had another combat grip for it so I put them on. The gun is not nose heavy, so it feels OK in my hands. I'm proud of this one, as I should have got one years ago!!

Here is my entire 629 collection, 3, 4, 6, & 8 3/8 inchers of -1 and -4 guns:

·
Administrator
8,093 Posts
Very nice! Congrats on your find! kfjdrfirii

You've got a beautiful 629 collection!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hey, I like that! I bet the round butt really makes it handle good!

Thats a fine collection!

kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
668 Posts
....the sister of that 4" is a really sweet shooter with the right loads....

Nice collection there....

G

·
0 Posts
That is one fine configuration. 4" RB in a 44 Magnum. I like the looks of the combat stocks on that...

What's not to like? kfjdrfirii

giz

·
Registered
429 Posts

Great find there on the 4'r. Combats look real nice. I'm as you on this I don't have any 44 under 6", and one like that would fit in great.

I've always admired your 29/629 collection. I had noticed in the passed your Classic Hunter since I have one too. I think yours is from the second run of the model, anyway mine from first run came with the Hogues and they are great for shooting, but I see yours has the combats. Did you put them on or did it come that way?

Sure like to find a pair like that for mine for looks.

Nice 4"r!

Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
That is an outstanding 629. Thought it was nickle for a second.....

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WGlide90 said:
but I see yours has the combats. Did you put them on or did it come that way?

Dave
I changed them from the rubber. I use to hunt ebay often for grips and if I found/won a good set I'll squirrel them away.

The rubber is good to shoot, but I just prefer wood when I can find them. I prefer the older S&W wood stocks. The new stuff that S&W offers, just won't work for me. I tried them and they were all sold off.

·
Registered
593 Posts
New production S&W wood combats are Kim Ahrends designs.

Anyone who doesn't want them, give me a buzz. I'll make you an offer. Ahrends grips fit me like he used my hands for a pattern.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Around 6 years ago, I purchased from S&W's web site a real nice N frame conversion grip, made out of wood. The price was around 60 bucks. These grips were made terribly. They would shift on the frame and there was an obvious over milling of the inside areas causing a loose fit. They would not tighten up on the frame. I threw that pair away!

I haven't tried the S&W RB styles recently.

I used Hogue on a K frame that worked well.

·
Registered
593 Posts
These are the Ahrends that S&W puts on some guns lately. The wood is plain jane but the shape is superb. If you buy the same thing directly from Kim (or one of his dealers) the wood can be stunning.

29-8 Mountain Gun with factory grips

Same grips in better wood and without grooves on my 64-5

1 - 13 of 13 Posts