Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a M&P 40c. Am having fun with it after some playing around with it. Finding ammo for it hasn't been easy. I figured since 40 s&w was declared dead and obsolete it be easier to find.¹ Didn't like PMC 165 at first but after running a few boxes of Blazer 165 and Federal 180 through it the PMCs are getting better. Haven't had a fte or ftf but the accuracy was horrible at first. That and I was using a 6 o'clock hold on it for the first mag and couldn't figure out where my shots were going. Didn't like PMC back in the 80s and still don't like them today but shoot what you've got. Had heard negative things about the first gens trigure but after dry firing in the store I liked it. After 250 rounds I still like it. Going to use it for edc after my holster comes in. I'm replacing a Taraus PT140 with 10,500 (plus after today but not counting any more). Loved the gun, never a problem but not going to take a chance on needing their CS. Looks like if S&W keeps producing 40 cals like this one I'm theirs until I get to old to handle them. Love my Ruger SR40 but it's to heavy and their not building any new 40s.

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: jeepnut and Boriqua

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Welcome. I'm a .40 fan as well and had my first range visit with a new 40c 2.0 this past week. LOVE IT!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
17,505 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia.

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have the exact M&P 40C you have, and use it in rotation for EDC.

The .40S&W is a snappy round on any platform. If you're coming from a full size Ruger duty pistol to this one, managing the recoil and follow through can be an initial challenge, especially considering the low mass of the plastic frame.

These are very well designed and built pistols. You've made a good choice.

When training, pick one of the rounds you like from the variety you've been shooting, and stick with that round while you work through getting used to the M&P. Only change one thing at a time in what you're focusing on (and fixing) in training, and you'll find you'll improve faster.

If you have a friend with an experienced eye to watch and coach you, it can also help, otherwise, consider setting up a tripod and making video of your firing stance, hold, aiming, trigger control and follow through.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi 40s&wboy,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I will not use PMC if there is ANY way to avoid it. I tried it years ago in a couple of different calibers and always felt like it was under powered and .. honestly it smelled funny!

I reload but have been running factory 155 gr lawman and 180 gr S&B through the 2 forties recently while I cook up a load I like for the range and have been very happy with both. I can dig wanting to grab what's on the shelf and not wait when you have a new toy but if you can wait a week or so I have seen plenty of .40 at the online sellers at about $16-17 a box plus shipping. Many places have a flat shipping fee so if funds allow order 5 or 6 boxes. Saw a case recently for $ 335.00 which is a touch high for .40 before the rush but may be the new normal.

·
Premium Member
11,469 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts