Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just trying to figure out what I have here. Model number ect. I was just given this from my father who actually received it from my uncle on my mothers side LOL so it has been around the family for a bit. Any how here are some pictures.

The serial number is: K267040

Thanks and be safe.

Dan

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on a fine revolver! What you have is what was referred to as a Combat Masterpiece, which was carried often by police officers. Your example shipped in 1956. In a couple of years, Smith & Wesson would go to a model numbering system and this would eventually come to be known as a Model 15. They are excellent shooters and you'd be hard pressed to find a better example from the era. I mentioned law enforcement carry, my own father carried one for 23 years starting in 1955 and it resides now with my son, himself a police officer and the revolver is still a pleasure to shoot! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new family member! :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As JB59 said, ook for something like "Mod 15-3" stamped in the crane. It's got the ramp front sight, adjustable rear, K-frame, .38 Special caliber. All the makings of a Model 15, also known as a "Combat Masterpiece."

·
Registered
30,089 Posts
Hi and welc0me to the forum! Nice model 15.

·
Premium Member
13,688 Posts
Welcome to the forum. They didn't start using the model numbers until 1957. You have a "Pre-15" Combat Masterpiece (Per BlackCloud'2s note).

These are outstanding revolvers built on the S&W "K" Frame. They will last several lifetimes if properly cared for.

·
Premium Member
13,688 Posts
When people say "they don't make 'em like they used to", consider this to be the poster child...

·
Registered
10,317 Posts
Greetings mate you are NOT unarmed with a revolver....

thewelshm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome and congratulations on a fine revolver! What you have is what was referred to as a Combat Masterpiece, which was carried often by police officers. Your example shipped in 1956. In a couple of years, Smith & Wesson would go to a model numbering system and this would eventually come to be known as a Model 15. They are excellent shooters and you'd be hard pressed to find a better example from the era. I mentioned law enforcement carry, my own father carried one for 23 years starting in 1955 and it resides now with my son, himself a police officer and the revolver is still a pleasure to shoot! Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new family member! :)
Thanks again for the information. The .38 was my Uncle's service revolver and I am still checking my moms family history, but might of been My grandfathers service revolver before he died in 59 he was still active police officer at the time. Either way it is special to me to have a part of their history.

Be Safe and again thanks for the info

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts