Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got this from my brother when he was moving out of state. He shot it every once in a while. I have not shot it yet.
I do know it is an old smith and wesson 38 special revolver been told it was an 1953 model. The serial numbers start with 300000s. So I don't know. All help would be appreciated 20200821_202542.jpg 20200821_202454.jpg 20200821_202611.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, you have a 38 Military & Police model that I would say could have been made in 1953, but I thunk 54 more likely
Here is mine, shipped in 1955, C 341434. In 1957 they called these the model 10
View attachment 478689
That's exactly what I got. I had a gun shop tell me he wouldn't shoot it because it's older model. Said the barrel would blow up. Well maybe if you put an real hot shell in. But not 115grn to 125grn that I shoot. Self defense 125grn at the most.

·
Registered
12,674 Posts
That's exactly what I got. I had a gun shop tell me he wouldn't shoot it because it's older model. Said the barrel would blow up. Well maybe if you put an real hot shell in. But not 115grn to 125grn that I shoot. Self defense 125grn at the most.
I would limit Plus P usage, but otherwise fire away. These are well made guns with heat treatment and all. Made to last.

·
Premium Member
18,627 Posts
QSL, KF5TEX! Welcome! Your .38 M&P revolver, serial number C339284, was likely made in 1955 but prior to the removal of the upper sideplate screw. This engineering version is also called the "pre-model 10" because it has all the lockworks of the Model 10 that came out in 1957/58. These guns are robust with today's ammo and you can shoot anything commercial on the market without problem. Before WWII, S&W said it was good to go with .38 High Velocity police rounds. It won't break a sweat with target ammo so plink away! It was designed for 158 gr. bullets. If you shoot a lot of 115 or 125, watch for cutting of the forcing cone and topstrap. My suggestion would be to shoot 158 gr. for practice followed by a cylinder or so of the lighter ammo to reaffirm the POI since that will shift with the lighter bullets. Anyway, congratulations on acquiring a .38 M&P, the most produced revolver in history.

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
Don't bother going back to a gun shop that would tell you the gun is unsafe... They don't know what they are talking about.

As mentioned, they are well made. The heat treating process has been in use since the 1920's. Original .38 special was a higher pressure round than the standardized SAAMI specs today, and was actually closer to what we call +P today. Just get some normal standard velocity .38 special ammunition. Stick with 158 grain Winchester White Box or equivalent.

These have also been called "K-38 Revolvers" since they are on the Smith and Wesson "K" frame and shoot .38 special ammunition.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! You have a fine older hand gun. Let us know how it functions for you after taking it to the range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got to shoot my new to me 38 special. It shoots great. I really like how it handles.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Don't bother going back to a gun shop that would tell you the gun is unsafe... They don't know what they are talking about.

As mentioned, they are well made. The heat treating process has been in use since the 1920's. Original .38 special was a higher pressure round than the standardized SAAMI specs today, and was actually closer to what we call +P today. Just get some normal standard velocity .38 special ammunition. Stick with 158 grain Winchester White Box or equivalent.

These have also been called "K-38 Revolvers" since they are on the Smith and Wesson "K" frame and shoot .38 special ammunition.
I would go back and ask if they had any more of those "Dangerous unsafe old S&W revolvers" that you could take off their hands for a few dollars.

Reactions: Cliff
1 - 9 of 9 Posts