Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, a friend of mine gave me a s&w revolver. I have no experience with revolvers or with the s&w brand so, at first, I was going to sell/trade it. But the longer I have it and research it, the more I'm falling in love with it. So, I'd like to know a little more about it. Namely, what date it was manufactured. It is a model 10-7 2" barrel K frame w/square butt. I read somewhere that the 10-7 came out in 1977.
The serial number is 8D23xxx. Can someone look it up in the standard catalog for me? I thought about buying the catalog but at this time it doesn't make sense since I'm just trying to date the gun.
IMG_1988.jpg IMG_1983.jpg IMG_1986.jpg IMG_1985.jpg Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The 8D serial sequence started in 1981. This was near the climax of the K-Frame Police and Service Revolver days and S&W was building alot of these guns... By 1982 they had already reached halfway through the 9D sequence.

BTW, those stocks on your gun are not what it shipped with and predate it by 70 years... should you need a correct pattern, replacement set, drop me a line and we can trade. I've got a pile of modern S&W wood here...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Sebago Son, for dating the gun. Yeah, I bought those grips on
Ebay and prefer them to the more modern grips. I use the gun as a ccw so wanted the smallest print possible.

Cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts