Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Gun Guys -

I recently bought a model 28-2, circa '75-'77, that seems to be in great shape.

I am new to revolvers, which also means I am new to magnum cartridges...

Any loads I should avoid given the age of the gun? Or does this 40ish oz N-frame handle anything you throw at it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
The N-Frame that the M28-2 is built on, is also the same platform that the M29-2 .44 Magnum is built on, and that should give you an idea about what your 28-2 is capable of digesting... a lot.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Congratulations. The Model 28 is outstanding. Any factory level or handload that follows accepted reloading norms will be fine. Must say, if you choose to try stuff using inappropriate powders, etc., all bets are off. Just a word to the wise. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats on discovering a fine revolver! I had a chance to snag a 28-2 last year but passed because the price was too high for condition. The grip panels were chipped and the bluing was practically worn off the muzzle. When you can, post up pics so we can drool. ;)

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Congrats on obtaining a S&W classic! It will handle just about any type of .357 round and some that people wouldn't shoot in anything but an N frame revolver. Enjoy.:cool:

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
JUst manufactured loads or reloads by the book. If I want to go hot I use my Ruger Blackhawks and the Henry. It will make you look like a pro. The 28-2 is only limited by your ability. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats on discovering a fine revolver! I had a chance to snag a 28-2 last year but passed because the price was too high for condition. The grip panels were chipped and the bluing was practically worn off the muzzle. When you can, post up pics so we can drool.
She's in pretty good shape, snagged for a great deal too...

20200117_160728_1579739113811.jpg 20200117_160920_1579739130138.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
The 28-2 is one of if not my favorites to own and shoot. That one is very nice and it is going to make you want more revolvers. And yes like others have said it is built well and can handle any factory ammo and any hand loads loaded properly.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Greetings Gun Guys -

Any loads I should avoid given the age of the gun? Or does this 40ish oz N-frame handle anything you throw at it?

Thanks!

That sucker will eat 125 grain day and night. But like everything it will eventually wear, but I doubt in your lifetime mate..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Greetings Gun Guys -

Thanks!
Whatever load you put on it will fire efficiently and with pleasure, I put 158 ​​gr JHP or 158Gr LSWC, this last load is good for everything bad that could happen to you, with two or four legs.

Enviado desde mi motorola one vision mediante Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Nice looking 28-2 you have. Fortunately, living in Southern Arizona gives us old desert dawgs a number of large shows every month or other month. This past weekend there were some good N-frame buys and some with outrageus prices. You'll enjoy shooting your Smith, especially when it's zeroed in at 100 yards. :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The only load to avoid is the infamous double (or triple) charge of fast powder in a handload. And I'm not even sure that a double charge would seriously damage one. I've never seen a picture of a blown up Model 28. AFAIK all the 357 kaboom pictures I've seen were K or L frames.
There aren't ANY factory 357 loads that are going to do any harm to that big old N-frame revolver - no matter how many of them you touch off. Shoot as many of the hottest rounds you can afford. Your hands and wrists will give out LONG before you hurt one of those tanks with 357 ammo.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would avoid any .357 magnum factory LEAD BULLET loadings. You might be OK shooting .38 spl. lead bullet ammo in your gun, but in my experience ( not opinion) when they crank it up to magnum level velocities...you get a lot more leading than you want.

·
Super Moderator
10,823 Posts
I would avoid any .357 magnum factory LEAD BULLET loadings. You might be OK shooting .38 spl. lead bullet ammo in your gun, but in my experience ( not opinion) when they crank it up to magnum level velocities...you get a lot more leading than you want.
I’ve never had any issue using lead bullet in any Smith & Wesson revolver. While this does happen on occasion, any factory lead load or decent reloads should be no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
I’ve never had any issue using lead bullet in any Smith & Wesson revolver. While this does happen on occasion, any factory lead load or decent reloads should be no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's good to know. My personal experience was with a Colt Python. By the time I was finished with a single box of Remington 158 gn lead...the barrel looked like a "smoothbore".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts