Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently scored a Model 17-4 with a 6" barrel. I took it to a bullseye match last night (not my cup of tea but you never know until you try). We were shooting @ 10M/33' and the gun printed consistently high with the rear elevation bottomed out. I wasn't able to really nail down exactly how much because I didn't want to hold everyone up by resting the pistol between strings. That said, with a 6 o'clock hold, it's roughly 5.5" to 6" high.

Doing a little research this morning I measured the rear sight blade @ .146" and the front sight @ .334" (I'm not completely sure about where the measurement points are on it (I measured from the top of the partridge sight to the top of the barrel rib). I intend to go out and rest the pistol to find out exactly how high it's printing and then find one of those calculators to determine what rear sight blade might put it POA/POI. I'm guessing a replacement .126" blade might be a start, I'll probably look for one that has a white outline.

I was also surprised that I didn't have any extraction issues after all I read on the subject. I had assumed there would be some but didn't have any trouble. That said, I only fired 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag standard velocity. I may try and shoot it with a variety of ammo to see how long that remains true.

My two questions are:

Am I on the right track with my thinking and methodology?

How is the front partridge sight attached to the barrel? There is no pin in the barrel (at the front sight) and no attachment hole/point in the muzzle. I guess it could be milled as part of the barrel but it really looks like two pieces. I have no intention of changing the front sight, I'm just curious.

As always, thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

20200118_144427.jpg

20200118_144550.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,781 Posts
So... check out the ballistics and trajectory for the .22LR round:

22 LR Ballistics @ Gunsmoke Engineering

.22LR_Plot.gif

Where does the trajectory of the round cross Zero?

Depending on the weight of the round and it's velocity, they will print a little low at 10 yards.

Now, consider this fundamentals correction chart:

Correction.jpg

It's possible that with the revolver you're pushing or breaking down as you fire. Have someone with experience watch you as you grip the revolver and fire.

I don't cross my thumbs when gripping a revolver, rather keeping them parallel against the frame.

This is a reasonable tutorial: https://www.friedmanhandguntraining.com/grip.html

If you suspect that the gun is shooting low, you can verify it by putting it on a ransom rest or using a stable shooting rest by hand.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I may have missed it in your post. Are the Mini-Mags 36 gr or 40 gr. Just a thought. I have two older Pre-17 and Mod 17. They both shoot to point of aim with CCI standard velocity 40 gr. Then , too, most weapons have a favorite ammo. More so with rifles than pistols, but... Hank

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Which may be the issue. Never know what’s been done with used weapons. I noticed my CCI standard velocity 40 gr rounds are rated at 1070 FPS, while the Mini-Mags are 1235 FPS. Don’t know if that makes any difference or not. Just thinking. Or maybe not! Hank

1 - 5 of 5 Posts