Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up last weekend while shopping for graduation presents. Needless to say I may have scored the best present of all. It's a sweet shooter and in great overall shape. I doubt I will ever send it back to the mothership for the M recall since I handload and dont every shoot hot lightweight projectile loads.

Btw it's a great shooter like most of my Smith wheelguns

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
That's a nice looker there. You'll not miss not having the M mod... I have 2 586's and 2 686's and only one has been sent back, no issues experienced with any of them with factory or hand loaded ammo since I avoid the below conditions.

The conditions that resulted in the "M" recall was very specific... lightweight (110 gr. bullet), high velocity & soft (federal) primer. In fact, the occurrences wasn't all that numerous... S&W started getting some reports from LE Agencies, and went into damage control to nip things in the bud.

Remember, the time period when this occurred was when S&W was locked in battle with Glock trying to hold onto to their precious LE sales market, they could not afford to have any bad PR... too bad, because as it turned out, the swan song for revolvers as a duty weapon had already been sung and the die cast for pistols to take over.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey I,

Wow! Great looking 586!!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
19,828 Posts
Some people buy a .357 to shoot, and carry to use in the woods, mountains or desert. Expensive grips are NOT the way to go......since they will be subject to wear and abuse. I put on rubber combat grips whenever I carry a nice revolver. Some people do use their guns. Obviously, you guys must keep your revolvers in the safe.....to just look at them. nbhaoflgnngp Those grips sure look great!!!! Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The pachmayr grips fully cover the back strap and were comfortable, but I swapped out the grips to Hogue ones that I happen to have laying around and I will keep some oil on the frame under them. At the price of wood target or presentation grips I could buy alot more ammo. I'm not buying guns for the next guy to look at it, I buy them for my enjoyment while shooting.
Appreciate everyone's input. I do have some collector guns like a 3rd model safety hammer less in nickel, and a Win model 12 pre war pre64 but this one is a shooter.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have a 586 Classic but love it just the same. I am always on the search for a nice older one.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,671 Posts
Nice find on that 586. Any revolver I ever purchased that had those FUGLY grips were immediately replaced with either the factory magnas or target grips (period correct of course), but that's me. Hopefully we will be getting a range report soon??? Again, congrats!:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Range report is it is a great shooter. I adjusted the sights ever so slightly to hit POA with 158gr 38s at 7-10yds.
It's a handful with full bore. 357s like the Blazer brass 158 JHPs.
Hogue grips help but my SP101 with trigger job and Pachmayr diamond pros is just a little more controlled shooting steel fast. Overall great gun and I will wear it open during deer season here in NC.

Here it is beside my other favorite Smith

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a highly engraved 586 No dash, and no floating fireing pin, how can you tell hand engraving?

·
Registered
721 Posts
The pachmayr grips fully cover the back strap and were comfortable, but I swapped out the grips to Hogue ones that I happen to have laying around and I will keep some oil on the frame under them. At the price of wood target or presentation grips I could buy alot more ammo. I'm not buying guns for the next guy to look at it, I buy them for my enjoyment while shooting.
Appreciate everyone's input. I do have some collector guns like a 3rd model safety hammer less in nickel, and a Win model 12 pre war pre64 but this one is a shooter.
Mine are all carriers/shooters. I prefer the wood grips but I keep sets of beat up magnas on my safe to swap out the target grips when I carry. In don't mind banging them up at all. I have beater magnas in J, K and N, swap em and set the nicer grips on the safe until I'm done carrying whatever they were on. Then swap em back. Only takes a minute.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts