Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun show was in town New Year weekend, ended up with two guns I've been searching for, both at reasonable prices after some hard bargaining. 1st was a S&W M25-5, I have a thread on it in the revolver section. I bought it New Years Day. I went back to the show on Sunday, primarily to look for birthday presents for my brothers-in-law. Found a couple of nice knives for them, but I'd seen a RIA .38 Super 1911 the day before and wanted another look at it, with a thought of taking it home. Unfortunately, someone else beat me to it. Good on them.

As I made one last pass, I noticed in a display of some fairly beat up old revolvers and a few Saturday Night Special .25 auto's, a larger semiauto in the corner. It happened to be a Browning Hi Power, and when I looked closer, saw it was a .40S&W instead of 9mm. I love the .40 round and have a compact Ruger in it, and was looking for a BHP in that caliber but had been having no luck, until now. The seller had it priced outrageously high, typical Gunbroker pricing. I made him a real lowball offer and he came back with what I felt was totally reasonable, but counter-offered and he came down another $50. I examined it closely, field stripped it after getting his permission, so I could check for the usual places cracks would appear. No cracks, but the gun was very dirty, it was obvious it had been shot quite a bit, but it was all grime and little wear. Mechanical function is all normal, still has the magazine disconnect, and outside has no cosmetic damage.

It's a Mark III "Silver Chrome", with wraparound Pachmayr grips, adjustable rear sight. The serial number dates it to 1995. Looks fabulous for a 26-year old pistol:
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
Good for you amigo. I too went to a gun show on New Years day and came home empty handed except for the Winchester Model 100 that went with me as "Trade Material".

Indeed, I too "Luvs Me Some" BHP's...........

Sleeve Textile Grey Air gun Trigger

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it to the wildlife club range today, just wanted to see what it would do. I didn't mess with the sights, just put up a target at 15 yards and put two magazines worth through it, then hung another target at 25 yards and put one more magazine through it. I like the trigger feel, I may just leave the disconnector in it for a while. I was surprised how well I did for the first time shooting one of these. I shoot it as well as, or better than, my .45 1911.
Circle Font Science Recreation Gas
Black Circle Rectangle Recreation Font

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice find, Hair Trigger. Nice sights and that silver chrome version is purdy. I too, prefer 40S&W, mine's the Practical.
View attachment 532783
I like the ring hammer you have, wish mine had that one, it's reminiscent of the earlier guns. Your Practical is pretty striking, the two-tone finish looks great. I'd read a lot about "hammer bite" on these guns and was prepared to get bit, but I suppose my grip is correct because I didn't get touched by the hammer.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh, she definitely bites, even with that "no-bite" Commander hammer...but I do have meaty clubs and have a high grip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the ring hammer you have, wish mine had that one, it's reminiscent of the earlier guns. Your Practical is pretty striking, the two-tone finish looks great. I'd read a lot about "hammer bite" on these guns and was prepared to get bit, but I suppose my grip is correct because I didn't get touched by the hammer.
Oh, she definitely bites, even with that "no-bite" Commander hammer...but I do have meaty clubs and have a high grip.
I also thought the hammer is the issue that bites but mine also bites me after I upgraded to the round hammer. Looking at it it seems like it's actually the straight part of the hammer and the tail where it bites me. Well, she seems to need blood to run :cool:

·
Registered
523 Posts
The hammer in the image above is a Cylinder and Slide replacement. I bobbed the original ring hammer to alleviate the hammer bite and it worked great for me. However, finesse is not my strength, so it looked a bit ugly. See for yourself. I plan to gift it someday, so that's why I replaced it.
Saw Guitar accessory Tool Bumper Musical instrument

I also thought the hammer is the issue that bites but mine also bites me after I upgraded to the round hammer. Looking at it it seems like it's actually the straight part of the hammer and the tail where it bites me. Well, she seems to need blood to run :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts