Smith And Wesson Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I can't say Natchez (link) often has ammo in stock, but I can say I recently got 1000 rounds of 9mm there @ $0.50 a round.

Just keep checking.

.380 auto/ACP is probably going to be a little harder to find, so you probably should pay what they ask when it's offered. My wife has the .380 EZ too. I have a bit for her stored, but I'll buy more when I see it pop up.

Also, make sure about shipping ammo in your state and city. Here in Illinois I can't get it unless the online seller has my driver's license and FOID card on file. The same rules apply for in-store sales. No card = no ammo for you.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: MrsM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
OK, nice peeps! I just watched a video and cleaned my gun. Yay. I washed my hands FOUR times and I still smell the gun cleaner. I have 2 cats; is it safe to pick them up and pet them, or should I continue to wash my hands?

·
Registered
429 Posts
OK, nice peeps! I just watched a video and cleaned my gun. Yay. I washed my hands FOUR times and I still smell the gun cleaner. I have 2 cats; is it safe to pick them up and pet them, or should I continue to wash my hands?
Yeah, they'll be fine, or all my dogs would be dead by now. Actually, all of 'em but one are, but not likely of bore cleaner absorption through their fur or by licking same. You might try thin disposable gloves next time, but washing your hands four times is plenty.
So, how is this whole gun thing stacking up for you so far?

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Reactions: MrsM

·
Registered
6,210 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah, they'll be fine, or all my dogs would be dead by now. Actually, all of 'em but one are, but not likely of bore cleaner absorption through their fur or by licking same. You might try thin disposable gloves next time, but washing your hands four times is plenty.
So, how is this whole gun thing stacking up for you so far?
Thank you, I washed them twice more and still smelled, LOL. Next time I will use my disposable food service gloves, and see if the cleaner dissolves them or not. I see another poster below recommended specific gloves, I may order those.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I am now looking into local ranges for a gun safety course. I took a one evening class, but I want more instruction and range time. Finding ammo is really hard for .380.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
One more question, if you please! I oiled the rails of the slide on my EZ 380, my husband likes to oil the barrels of his shotguns, and he told me I should oil the inside of the barrel as well. Yay or Nay? I did not oil the inside of the barrel. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,389 Posts
I think most gun owners put a light coating of oil in the bore to mitigate rusting of carbon steel barrels. But, I suggest looking in your owner's manual to see what S&W recommends. Too much lubrication is as bad as too little.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Run a oily patch through the barrel followed by a dry patch. You only need a very thin coating. More is NOT better . ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your S&W EZ has a stainless steel barrel which is Armonite(nitride) treated. There's no need to oil it at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
OK. Here are 2 pages from my manual on cleaning. I highlighted the yellow sentences. Notice it says to oil all metal parts, external and internal. Now I am confused. I don't think there should be oil on the entire gun, that makes no sense to me at all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I lightly oil the barrel, inside and out. Use a soft cotton "mop" (they come in cleaning kits) and 1 to 3 drops of gun oil.

I lightly spray RemOil preserving gun oil (Walmart carries it here) on the gun's action and on the metal surfaces before wiping down for storage.

I clean my guns while wearing nitrile gloves (you can get them at the drug stores or Sams Club when the pandemic quiets back down).

I reload ammo in nitrile gloves too...

Reactions: Hawg and MrsM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I lightly oil the barrel, inside and out. Use a soft cotton "mop" (they come in cleaning kits) and 1 to 3 drops of gun oil.

I lightly spray RemOil preserving gun oil (Walmart carries it here) on the gun's action and on the metal surfaces before wiping down for storage.

I clean my guns while wearing nitrile gloves (you can get them at the drug stores or Sams Club when the pandemic quiets back down).

I reload ammo in nitrile gloves too...
Thank you!

·
Registered
429 Posts
OK. Here are 2 pages from my manual on cleaning. I highlighted the yellow sentences. Notice it says to oil all metal parts, external and internal. Now I am confused. I don't think there should be oil on the entire gun, that makes no sense to me at all.
So, more often than not, a manual is a legal "CYA" document written solely so they can say "we told you so..." Don't get me wrong, they should be read cover to cover for the bits of useful knowledge you can glean, but I have seen plenty of manuals tell you (on what is clearly a defensive handgun), to never carry it loaded! I agree with you, Mrs. M, there's no need to drench the gun in oil, and I would make the argument that in certain areas of the gun, too much oil acts as a holding "gel" to attract grit, dirt, unburnt powder, etc.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts