Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
15,879 Posts
Like they say, life itself is only temporary (and in my case, my temporary is running out fast). :oops:

I'm not as optimistic about a timely return to pre-crisis availability and pricing. I wish I could say different, but this is the worst ammo crisis by far in my lifetime and everyone seems to be saying that they're going to up their stash significantly once the crisis starts to abate. You know what that means, right? It means that the crisis is going to last a lot longer just because so many have learned their lesson this time around.

I don't have any helpful advice other than to keep checking the big box sporting goods stores in your area. It may take a while and a lot of luck, but at least the big box store ammo prices, when available, tend not to be so crazy inflated. :cool:
I won't challenge you to a race on running out as neither of us really wants to win....

I believe the ammunition shortage is here to stay at least through the Biden years, but then I'm fully packed all the time. I bought everything I needed until my race was done back when it wasn't like it is now. Must have been clairvoyant. Just sold another 1000 rounds of 223 anti personnel rounds locally for a buck a round. A year ago it was about 15 cents a pop. Amazing, totally amazing. I bet I have 15 full 100 round Winchester White box 45's in the ammo chest too. Bought them at Wal Mart some tears back, think I paid 25 a box.

Was before Wal Mart got 'woke'....

·
Super Moderator
33,688 Posts
I believe the ammunition shortage is here to stay at least through the Biden years
That is something I have no doubt of in the least. We can't see anything improving and in fact getting worse because we expect taxes on ammo to up and probably going after online sales to any extent they can do. Those that did not get earlier will probably face great problems in the future.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
15,879 Posts
I just ordered 4 30 round Ruger Mags from Strum Ruger for my Mini 14 Target. I figure first off will be an outright ban on any magazine over 10 rounds. I can be a felon no issue. Only 223 I own right now is the Mini and when I bought it, my farthest though was it being considered an assault rifle. I carry it in the tractor to dispatch Coyotes. Other that that and my Kimber and my derringer and dad's 44 and the 460, everything I own is a bolt action hunting rifle with no magazines at all. Clip fed internally.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Forgot to say that we bought the guns online in VA, and had them shipped to a local gun shop in NJ.
There is a lot of that going on lately (people buying firearms on line and having them shipped to a dealer near them for transfer), That seems to be the most effective way to ensure that you can actually get what you want in any sort of timely manner. The shop where I work part time is a small place on Virginia's eastern shore, and as a dealer we've been in a mighty struggle to keep guns and ammo in stock. Name brand? That's another story, that's tough, but it is important to have at least some top quality ammo on hand, even though smaller brand names can be fine for target practice and in many cases may be all you can find locally.

I don't know what the gun shop climate is near where you live, though I would suspect in NJ, it might be tough, I understand that in general it's a fairly strict place for gun ownership. Can you buy ammo via the internet? If so, that may be a solution to at least getting some ammo on hand, but I can tell you, you will pay more to be able to get a specific name brand/style of ammo in the calibers that you are looking for, especially .380 for your gun, 9mm for his will be a little easier.

The other gun store employee that commented here mentioned that he thought things will begin to get better in a number of months, and I have found myself saying the exact same thing in conversation to friends and customers, but lately, deep down inside, I suspect that is no longer a certainty, and may not even be a probability anymore. It's become apparent that either Virginia's laws will catch up with NJ's, or the country's laws will tighten enough to eclipse them both. Or frankly, something else may come along and make both of those outcomes look like a best case scenario, or in other words, we may not have even begun to see the top of the market in either guns or ammunition.

My advice does not offer specific guidance except to find it on line and pay enough to secure enough for you both, keep looking locally at every place that sells ammo, in hopes of catching them at the right time, and above all, buy magazines and ammo, maybe a shotgun or two to go along with those pistols, and GET SOME TRAINING!
I cannot stress enough that last suggestion about proper training, because a mis-handled firearm will not "cut you a break" because you are "just starting out and all", it can kill you or a loved one at the very first mistake you ever make, so learn about them, learn safe gun handling and treat them with a respect born of knowledge, not fear.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
You can join ammoseek for free and read the seller reviews. In fact, it is a good idea to do that.
Very good advice. There are 'good' sellers on AmmoSeek and there are some utterly worthless ones. Unless you already know them intimately, the reviews are where you find out which are 'good' and which ones to stay far away from. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
There is a lot of that going on lately (people buying firearms on line and having them shipped to a dealer near them for transfer), That seems to be the most effective way to ensure that you can actually get what you want in any sort of timely manner. The shop where I work part time is a small place on Virginia's eastern shore, and as a dealer we've been in a mighty struggle to keep guns and ammo in stock. Name brand? That's another story, that's tough, but it is important to have at least some top quality ammo on hand, even though smaller brand names can be fine for target practice and in many cases may be all you can find locally.

I don't know what the gun shop climate is near where you live, though I would suspect in NJ, it might be tough, I understand that in general it's a fairly strict place for gun ownership. Can you buy ammo via the internet? If so, that may be a solution to at least getting some ammo on hand, but I can tell you, you will pay more to be able to get a specific name brand/style of ammo in the calibers that you are looking for, especially .380 for your gun, 9mm for his will be a little easier.

The other gun store employee that commented here mentioned that he thought things will begin to get better in a number of months, and I have found myself saying the exact same thing in conversation to friends and customers, but lately, deep down inside, I suspect that is no longer a certainty, and may not even be a probability anymore. It's become apparent that either Virginia's laws will catch up with NJ's, or the country's laws will tighten enough to eclipse them both. Or frankly, something else may come along and make both of those outcomes look like a best case scenario, or in other words, we may not have even begun to see the top of the market in either guns or ammunition.

My advice does not offer specific guidance except to find it on line and pay enough to secure enough for you both, keep looking locally at every place that sells ammo, in hopes of catching them at the right time, and above all, buy magazines and ammo, maybe a shotgun or two to go along with those pistols, and GET SOME TRAINING!
I cannot stress enough that last suggestion about proper training, because a mis-handled firearm will not "cut you a break" because you are "just starting out and all", it can kill you or a loved one at the very first mistake you ever make, so learn about them, learn safe gun handling and treat them with a respect born of knowledge, not fear.
Good luck.
NJ is one of the worst states for gun laws. For every gun we wish to purchase, we have to do the entire process again - fingerprints, background check, etc., and wait for the permit to be approved. I waited almost 5 months for approvals!!!!! It's insane. And I agree with you, it's only going to get worse under this administration. We will just keep looking for ammo. And yes, I plan to get training. There is a range in PA that offers lots of courses, I will enroll very soon.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Beware AmmoShopOnLine - seller listed on Ammoseek. Some few people receive their orders with no problem. Both my son and I were two who had to report them for fraud to our credit card companies before they "got around" to shipping our orders. You can join ammoseek for free and read the seller reviews. In fact, it is a good idea to do that.
Good advice. I actually did exactly that and then didn't buy the ammo they had posted last night.

However, I've ordered probably 20 times from an ammoseek listing, and excepting one back ordered ammo, got my ammo promptly without a problem. One way they get you is backorders if one isn't reading carefully. But, the same ammo website listed would do the same if you had found them through another route.

·
Registered
15 Posts

You can find ammo here if you are willing to pay $1.00 + per round, but can actually get some.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Hi MrsM,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't worry too much about name brand stuff just get what you can. They will even run steel cased stuff like Wolf and Tulammo. My wife has an EZ 9 but the grip safety protrudes and hurts the web of her hand.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Don't worry too much about name brand stuff just get what you can. They will even run steel cased stuff like Wolf and Tulammo. My wife has an EZ 9 but the grip safety protrudes and hurts the web of her hand.
Yeah I only care about name brand stuff for self defense ammo. And, .22 lr when it comes to my picky Ruger Mark IV. It likes CCI.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@ MrsM - Buy ammo when you can find it and get trained up on firearms safety and handling. Some gun ranges also sell ammo to their members. Might want to look into that.

·
Registered
9,607 Posts
Greetings. stay a while....

thewelshm

Reactions: Curt360 and MrsM
21 - 40 of 58 Posts