Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! With the political climate in the country today, my husband and I decided we needed to each have our own handguns. I bought a S&W EZ Shield 380, he bought the EZ 9mm. Where on earth can we buy brand name ammo for these handguns? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
19,358 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Did you check with the gun store where you bought the guns? Most any gun store or major Sporting Goods store should have ammunition available. Right now there's a run on everything and ammo is in short supply at many places. If you can't find it at a store you may be able to buy it online.

Guy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Did you check with the gun store where you bought the guns? Most any gun store or major Sporting Goods store should have ammunition available. Right now there's a run on everything and ammo is in short supply at many places. If you can't find it at a store you may be able to buy it online.

Guy
Thank you, Guy, we've tried every local store, we call almost daily. Online supplies are out of stock. We will keep looking! Thank you!

·
Registered
13,724 Posts
It's actually a terrible time to buy guns and ammo. Guns are running 25-50 percent above normal, and if you can find ammo it is running 100-175 percent over normal. I am meeting a guy tomorrow to sell him a hundred round box of Federal aluminum cased ammo for $55, that I got when Walmart was closing out handgun ammo for $15. When not on close-out those 9mm ran about $18.95

·
Premium Member
11,925 Posts
The ammo shortage is likely temporary, and caused by the additional demand of over 6 million new firearm owners in the United States. If each wanted 200 cartridges, that would amount to 1.2 billion cartridges. One of the major manufacturers (Remington) bankrupted last year, and was just recently sold to a new owner. They will likely reopen their Arkansas manufacturing facility as soon as possible.

In the meantime, supply has been coming slowly, but is almost immediately purchased when it comes into stock. The shop I help with occasionally limits purchase of cartridges to their own buyers of firearms, and only at the time of purchase.

Note that ammunition cannot be mailed via USPS. Some large online dealers are sporadically listing stock as it comes in. Depending on actions at the Federal level, things could return to normal in 18 to 24 months. As it is, we saw exceptional record setting sales of firearms all last year, and the new administration will layer additional anxiety and sales on top of that.

This listing of FBI NICS checks by month since the inception of that program may give you some insight:

And yes... the only people that are impacted by "gun control" are the lawful people that really don't need the infringements in the first place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ammo shortage is likely temporary, and caused by the additional demand of over 6 million new firearm owners in the United States. If each wanted 200 cartridges, that would amount to 1.2 billion cartridges. One of the major manufacturers (Remington) bankrupted last year, and was just recently sold to a new owner. They will likely reopen their Arkansas manufacturing facility as soon as possible.

In the meantime, supply has been coming slowly, but is almost immediately purchased when it comes into stock. The shop I help with occasionally limits purchase of cartridges to their own buyers of firearms, and only at the time of purchase.

Note that ammunition cannot be mailed via USPS. Some large online dealers are sporadically listing stock as it comes in. Depending on actions at the Federal level, things could return to normal in 18 to 24 months. As it is, we saw exceptional record setting sales of firearms all last year, and the new administration will layer additional anxiety and sales on top of that.

This listing of FBI NICS checks by month since the inception of that program may give you some insight:

And yes... the only people that are impacted by "gun control" are the lawful people that really don't need the infringements in the first place.
I began the process of securing a firearms ID card and firearms permit in late September 2020. I just got them this week. Looking at your chart, I see why. Thank you for that information. I agree, the only people impacted by this are law abiding gun owners. Good to know about Remington, but that doesn't help right now.

·
Premium Member
11,925 Posts
Just to be clear, the criminals that Leftists promise us are the ones "gun control" is necessary for controlling simply steal their guns AND ammunition, or trade drugs for them on the black markets.

AmmoSeek.com may prove helpful. Just don't feed the beast by buying more than you need at these high prices.

In the meantime, seek firearm safety training from certified instructors. Basic Pistol is taught by many regional gun clubs, and like my club, we often provide .22LR handguns and ammunition for use during the classes.

Reactions: MrsM

·
Registered
528 Posts
The ammo shortage is likely temporary...
Like they say, life itself is only temporary (and in my case, my temporary is running out fast). :oops:

I'm not as optimistic about a timely return to pre-crisis availability and pricing. I wish I could say different, but this is the worst ammo crisis by far in my lifetime and everyone seems to be saying that they're going to up their stash significantly once the crisis starts to abate. You know what that means, right? It means that the crisis is going to last a lot longer just because so many have learned their lesson this time around.

I don't have any helpful advice other than to keep checking the big box sporting goods stores in your area. It may take a while and a lot of luck, but at least the big box store ammo prices, when available, tend not to be so crazy inflated. :cool:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
A little over a year ago I paid 17 cents per round for 115 gr. full metal jacket (copper clad, brass cased) good brand 9mm ammo - for a case of 1000. Now if I can find it for 60 cents per round for a full case I feel like I found a bargain. That is over a 300% increase!

When it comes to .380 ammo, it is much worse. During the same time period as above I was paying 24 cents per round for a full case of 1000 and now IF you can find any that is decent for under a dollar a round you are lucky. That is a 400% increase!

As a new shooter, 1000 rounds probably sounds like way too much. However, if you shoot only twice a month and shoot only 50 rounds per session (not very much shooting happening with that kind of schedule and a one box limit per session) you are OUT of ammo after 20 trips to the range, and that is less than a year.

There are always a few people who post here and on other forums about getting to their local "whatever" chain store early on the days when they receive their ammo shipments. There are long lines and usually a limit of two 50 round boxes per person, but the prices are way lower than what I listed above. Not back to 18 months ago, but not anywhere near what you will pay on line.

Best wishes and good luck to both of you! And yes, definitely get some good basic training. You will learn to shoot accurately and safely using WAY LESS ammunition than if you try to learn on your own.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Gunbroker is my go to place for ammo, especially now days. Search Sportsman Supply. They have plenty of 9mm and 380 ACP. It is not cheap but available. I use them all the time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to be clear, the criminals that Leftists promise us are the ones "gun control" is necessary for controlling simply steal their guns AND ammunition, or trade drugs for them on the black markets.

AmmoSeek.com may prove helpful. Just don't feed the beast by buying more than you need at these high prices.

In the meantime, seek firearm safety training from certified instructors. Basic Pistol is taught by many regional gun clubs, and like my club, we often provide .22LR handguns and ammunition for use during the classes.
I have not one round at this time! I took a wom
A little over a year ago I paid 17 cents per round for 115 gr. full metal jacket (copper clad, brass cased) good brand 9mm ammo - for a case of 1000. Now if I can find it for 60 cents per round for a full case I feel like I found a bargain. That is over a 300% increase!

When it comes to .380 ammo, it is much worse. During the same time period as above I was paying 24 cents per round for a full case of 1000 and now IF you can find any that is decent for under a dollar a round you are lucky. That is a 400% increase!

As a new shooter, 1000 rounds probably sounds like way too much. However, if you shoot only twice a month and shoot only 50 rounds per session (not very much shooting happening with that kind of schedule and a one box limit per session) you are OUT of ammo after 20 trips to the range, and that is less than a year.

There are always a few people who post here and on other forums about getting to their local "whatever" chain store early on the days when they receive their ammo shipments. There are long lines and usually a limit of two 50 round boxes per person, but the prices are way lower than what I listed above. Not back to 18 months ago, but not anywhere near what you will pay on line.

Best wishes and good luck to both of you! And yes, definitely get some good basic training. You will learn to shoot accurately and safely using WAY LESS ammunition than if you try to learn on your own.
=
I agree, 1000 rounds is not much. But we cannot afford $1 per round, we are both in our 60s, and semi retired. Someone told me to go to a shooting range, buy their ammo, shoot a few rounds and go home, that will slowly build up some stock. That's the only way to buy ammo here, at a range. And we have run into stores that will not sell you any ammo unless you bought the gun through them. Problem was, we couldn't find a store with the guns we chose in stock, and they couldn't tell us when they would be available, so we bought guns online. That immediately shut us out of buying from local stores. The FFL shop we went through will sell us ammo, but none is available (we call them every day). The shop owner promised me a box of 50 when I pick up the gun from his 'private stock.' I thought that was very nice of him. Might bake him some cookies, do you think that may help? LOL.

·
Registered
15,794 Posts
I use Gunbot.net. They list by caliber but my real reason is for reloading supplies as I never buy factory rounds at all but that is another animal for another day.

The ammunition shortage reminds me of the toilet paper shortage in a way.... :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use Gunbot.net. They list by caliber but my real reason is for reloading supplies as I never buy factory rounds at all but that is another animal for another day.

The ammunition shortage reminds me of the toilet paper shortage in a way.... :p
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts