Smith And Wesson Forums banner

New to forum, have a 36-? S&W looking for info

9K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  coiler666 
#1 ·
Hello, how do I look up a serial number on my " new" used model 36-? Smith and Wesson? I'm told it's at least 20 years old but when you are 50 yourself, 20 isn't that old! Serial BPS7029 Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Material property Revolver Bicycle part Carbon Metal
Can anyone figure out which model number this is?

See less See more
#2 ·
Last number is hard to make out, but looks like a 36-3? A nice revolver, tho ya see more snubby's in the 36, I really like the longer tube. Ya got yourself a fine revolver bud. A smart guy will tell ya soon all ya need to know imma sure, so I'll just say Welcome to the finest Firearms Forum on the web, Best wishes, Mike.

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. I hope we can get your questions answered quickly.

You have a well used but desireable Chiefs Special.

Overstamping messes things up a bit. To me it looks to be a Model 36-6 that was re-marked to be a model 36-8 (Overstamped).
At this point the best thing you can do is call the service center and see if they can nail down what the model number is for you.
Othere than that it may take a $50 investment to get a factory letter to verify exactly what you have there, and when it was shipped.
The 3" barrel is what sets it apart from the others.
There is no hard and set serialization sequence to many S&W handguns. Serial numbers moved around a bit and the shipment date is what S&W records.
There are many cases where serial numbers and model numbers don't match for dating. All we can do is give the best info available to us throug the S&W Catalog. Here's what I have to offer you.

This will date to roughly early 1994.
BPK is December 93' & BDY is January 94'

REgards,
Gearchecker

#7 ·
Here's the info to send for the letter from Mr. Jenks, the company historian.

Send a USPS letter to Roy Jenks, S&W Historian. The reply will cost $50.00 (include it with your request) and probably take about 8 weeks or so, maybe quicker, depending on Mr. Jenks schedule.

Smith & Wesson
attn: Mr. Roy Jenks
PO Box 2208
Springfield, MA. 01102

#9 ·
The info for Mr. Jenks letter is now in a Sticky over in the gunsmithing section.

You are so welcome. We try our best to help out when we can.

Regards,
Gregory

#10 ·
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! My advice is not to send off for a letter. You are not likely to find out anything other than the distributor to which it was shipped. The gun isn't rare or unique. And, $50 is about 10% of what it is worth. I'd put that money into a nice holster or some ammo for it.

#17 ·
What Guy n Iggy are saying is that you have a later model revolver, and the only real info you will get is the original consignee. It will not add any value to you gun, and as said, you can use the $ for a nice holster, or a box or 2 of ammo. Again, welcome and Happy Holidays, Mike.

#21 ·
Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

A 3" barrel round butt j-frame makes a real nice concealed carry piece.

Nice find.

Regards,

FlaRon weiweinp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.