Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :cool:

I want a 9mm revolver and have been considering the Taurus 692 with the 3" ported barrel but now they've just come out with a 2.5" UN-ported version. I was hesitant about the 3" because I don't like or need the porting as I would intend to shoot mainly 9mm's with it. Otherwise, the 2 firearms are the same except the 2.5" is 3 oz. lighter (not a big deal but every little bit helps as the 3" is kind of heavy for carry at 35oz.)

The main reason I don't like porting is because it slows the FPS compared to the same or equivalent gun WITHOUT porting. I'm figuring the 2.5" barrel will give equal or perhaps even a little BETTER velocity than the ported 3" as the few chrono tests on the ported 692 I have found are kind of all over the place - with some loads it seems to be as good as a unported 3" and with some it falls almost down to the level of a 2".

I am OCD about the velocity factor with shorter barrel revolvers OR pistols and if they are compensated - it's one of my main considerations for purchase. So I'm hoping that the new unported 2.5" will at LEAST equal the 3". I can wait for chrony tests to appear online with the new one but that may take a long time, or never.

Your thoughts on my semi-predicament - other than I'm making too much of nothing? ;)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I prefer 3" barrels to 2" but I had one ported gun in all the guns I had and HATED it. If it were available and all the stars aligned I would get a 3" unported. If its a choice between ported 3" and unported 2 .. I would go with the 2. No real numbers to back up my choice .. just my preference

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. What I really wanted them to do was come out with a 3" WITHOUT the porting, but they did an unported version at 2.5" instead. Well, 2.5" is a little better than 2.0" and i think it has to be as good as the 3" ported because I KNOW that ported barrels lose some velocity. So I guess I've answered my own question but always appreciate :)

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
You mentioned porting, caliber, barrel length, FPS, but not your intended use for the gun. Your post reminded me of a buddy of mine who is kinda anal (it's not OCD) about those same things you mentioned. I asked him what he wanted the little gun for and he said to keep it on his night stand and concealed carry. I told him that a slight reduction in FPS won't really matter at such a short distance (roughly 15-20'?), but rather ammo type and shot placement is more critical. What were you planning to use the gun for?

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
friends dont let friends buy Taurus - have you lookrd at the Ruger SP101 3" (unported) in 9mm ?

edit: looks like the new ones arent made in 3" any longer sorry.. my SIL has one, must be discontinued..
Thats a pretty sweet gun too especially if 9mm is your thing .. probably about 3 bills more than a Taurus though but In this instance .. you can really get what you paid for.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Save your money and buy the Ruger. The Taurus might serve you well, but I don’t buy them anymore.

·
Super Moderator
19,331 Posts
Dude,
This is a Smith and Wesson Forum. Asking about buying a Taurus handgun here is akin to going over to a Ford Dealer and asking if they have the latest Corvette C9 on the sales floor, and then asking to take it for a test drive.
We use the expression "Friends don't let friends buy Taurus." for a reason. You will do much better saving up a little more, and getting something in the same caliber form a different and more reputable manufacturer. You will also have fewer headaches and heartaches buy buying anything other than a Taurus.
Ruger would be a good choice, and a S&W all the better.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Dude,
This is a Smith and Wesson Forum. Asking about buying a Taurus handgun here is akin to going over to a Ford Dealer and asking if they have the latest Corvette C9 on the sales floor, and then asking to take it for a test drive.
We use the expression "Friends don't let friends buy Taurus." for a reason. You will do much better saving up a little more, and getting something in the same caliber form a different and more reputable manufacturer. You will also have fewer headaches and heartaches buy buying anything other than a Taurus.
Does Smith make a 9mm revolver? I just never think 9mm when I think Smith revovler and I am not up on all their new offerings.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Reviews are pretty good on these.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Reviews might be good, but dealing with Taurus‘s customer service was horrible for me. I sent a gun back and the factory couldn’t or wouldn’t fix it. Ruger or S&W are my choices.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mentioned porting, caliber, barrel length, FPS, but not your intended use for the gun. Your post reminded me of a buddy of mine who is kinda anal (it's not OCD) about those same things you mentioned. I asked him what he wanted the little gun for and he said to keep it on his night stand and concealed carry. I told him that a slight reduction in FPS won't really matter at such a short distance (roughly 15-20'?), but rather ammo type and shot placement is more critical. What were you planning to use the gun for?

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
I'm looking for a CC revolver, and especially in 9mm because of the fast moon clip reload. The 692 has 7 rounds - it hits all the check points for me except I wish it was a 3" and un-ported.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude,
I thought this was the "Other Firearms Manufacturers" forum? :)

I have had 4 Taurus revolvers (2 currently) and never had a problem with any of them. I know the reputation Taurus has with many, but I have to abide by my own experience. I think they are a lot better in recent years in any case?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
friends dont let friends buy Taurus - have you lookrd at the Ruger SP101 3" (unported) in 9mm ?

edit: looks like the new ones arent made in 3" any longer sorry.. my SIL has one, must be discontinued..
The SP101 is beautiful and reliable but is only a 5 shot. The main reason I am considering the Taurus is that it holds 7. Two rounds difference in a semi-auto holding 10-15 is not a big deal to me, but 7 as compared to only 5 - that is significant.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts