Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought me another 6.5 rifle yesterday. This one is a German contract one, made in 1900. It's markedl
Oberndorf a/n 1900. The serial# is o.g.53057. Everything matches except the cleaning rod. I've not taken it out
of the stock to check for #s on the wood. Bore looks pretty good. Needs a little grease removal and range
time. It still has the 300m. front sight blade. Right now I'll have to use some white const. paper for target
background. Cliff image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
12,030 Posts
Looks to be in great shape. Enjoy.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
9,365 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Fine looking Swedish Mauser!

They are very accurate............

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
That's a beaut, Cliff...................nice snag.

Enjoy it in good health,

Geezer

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The Swede's are coming, the Swede's are coming. Picked up a Carl Gustav dated 1917 for a Christmas present to myself, along with a 1000 rds or so, in some battle packs. Finally get to shoot this baby tomorrow. Don't anyone tell Joe. He thinks I'm bringing an M1A.

·
Super Moderator
11,420 Posts
Sweet!

I have a sporterized Oberndorf from 1907. Was the first rifle round I reloaded for. It's a dream shooter. Would like to find a decent one in original condition.

Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Fine looking Swedish Mauser!

They are very accurate............

Later, Mark
Yes they are!
My $99 Swedish Mauser was out shooting National Match ARs, M14s, and M1 Garands on the 600 yard slow fire back in the mid 90s. (I had shot expert right out of boot camp at 19 years old.)
When I got out in 1993 I went to college and didn't have much money. My brother in law picked up two of these with his reenlistment bonus and gave me one.
We were absolute terrors with our rifles back then, never missing. Mine was an Oberndorf too. It still had the disk in the stock with the armory measurements on it.
Cliff, you have exceptional tastes in accurate rifles! :cool:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Reactions: Cliff

·
Premium Member
12,921 Posts
The Swedish Mauser rifles are probably the most precision made of all the Mauser actions. Mine was made in Sweden. It's nice to see a genuine Oberndorfer!

Reactions: Cliff and jeepnut

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Swedish 6.5mm Mauser I believe is on the top of the heap for accuracy. My 1907 CG M96 makes me look good at every outing at the range.

·
Premium Member
12,921 Posts
The Swedish contract was an important one for Mauser. They had already been quite successful with sales to Turkey and other countries. The Swedish contract led to Mauser building an entire new building in the middle Factory site:

Schwedenbau.jpg

This building (still called the "Schwedenbau" or Swedish Office) was also the location (on the top floor) where the C96 was assembled.

This is also the location of the Oberndorf Weapons Museum.

The museum has a remarkable collection, and is well worth the trip - about an hour SouthWest of Stuttgart by train.

Marc

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mam-Maw and I renewed our membership at the Muskogee Gun Club last weekend. This range is 200 yds with excellent
shooting benches. If the lawns ever slow down I plan to shoot the old swede and see what it'll do at 200 & 100 yds.
Cliff.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like some of the pics are coming back. Maybe things will get back to normal. Cliff

·
Registered
41 Posts
Around 1990 I bought an all-matching 1941-dated Husqvarna M38 from SAMCO for $90. It wasn't a cutdown M96. Its first (5) rounds of Hansen 139gr FMJ produced a 1.5-inch group @ 100 yards. They WILL shoot, plus they're easy on your shoulder! 😁

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well I've made 3 attempts to post a reply. When I almost get finished the sight goes off and the text won't come back. I shot this target at a bolt action match with my C G Swed made in
1917. We shot these with issue sights at 100yds. 100 score, 7xs and a group of 1.51 inches.
Cliff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,921 Posts
They are among the finest made Mauser action rifles. The combination of the design and the use of Swedish steel and attention to precision at the armory probably cannot be duplicated today for under $5,000...

That is outstanding marksmanship too... Match a great shooter with a great firearm and you have a winner!

I was finally able to find one of these rifles recently, all matching and without import markings. I have one for shooting (import marked) and now the other as a collectible. This flat shooting round in these precision rifles represent a quietly recognized secret for military rifle shooter.

Mauser built a new factory building in Oberndorf when the first Swedish contract was accepted. The Swedes subsequently licensed the rifle design and moved production to the Carl Gustav military arsenal and Husqvarna.

Here's an updated photo of the "Swedish Office" Schwedenbau in Oberndorf. The rifles were originally produced here, and the C96 pistol on the top floor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts