Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the wife a new Shield EZ 380 because she can no longer manipulate the slide on a Glock 19. Range day today, 150 rounds ball factory Remington ammo. Came with two magazines. Narrowed the problem down to one magazine that on the last round, a stove pipe jam with live round failing to eject and sticking straight up in the ejection port. Only does it on the one magazine and always on the last round in the magazine. I had read before of problems with magazines with this pistol. Bass Pro Shop, where I bought it, said if any problems, bring it back to them and they will contact S&W. I will do this first thing next week. Nothing wrong with the gun; it shoots fine; just the bad magazine. The other magazine shot every round to empty mag with slid lock working perfectly every time. Hopefully, S&W will send another magazine. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Likely the feed lips are slightly bent. S&W should replace it.

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
I have had students try and use them (brand new) in class, and end up with a jammed up pistol that even we could not clear.

I expect that there are assembly / design problems with this gun, possibly related to cost reduction in it's concept.

As to problems racking a slide. There is an adaptive way your wife may be able to continue to operate one of your other pistols.

Instead of pulling the slide over a stationary frame (the way many people rack them), why not try pushing the frame UNDER a stationary slide.

This change makes use of stronger muscles and also gives you more leverage in the pushing motion of a much larger grip surface. Once you've pushed the frame far enough you just let the slide slip out of your fingers to complete the task.

This article has a reasonable explanation: https://www.usacarry.com/racking-pistol-slide-technique-not-strength/

·
Registered
790 Posts
Although it is possible it could be a feed lip problem, this issue keeps coming up over and over on most of the forums I belong to. The bulk of the people who have posted in the past feel it is a magazine spring problem. Those springs ARE awfully squishy, compared to almost any other magazines I have used in various brands of guns.

I have 6 magazines. One of them pretty consistently does the last round straight up dance routine. So far the others work OK. I have several hundred rounds through my EZ. It is a very nice gun to shoot, but for me it is larger than what I can comfortably carry now - in my old age with arthritis, etc.

The main reason I would NEVER carry the EZ is that you cannot insert a loaded (or partly loaded) magazine with a round in the chamber. SO, whether in competition or in a SD situation you have to shoot the gun totally empty, to slide lock, before you can drop the empty magazine and load a full one.

If you carry a loaded gun but never carry a spare magazine this is not a problem. If you never shoot competition or classes where you are not allowed to let your gun go to slide lock, it is not a problem.

·
Registered
790 Posts
As to problems racking a slide. There is an adaptive way your wife may be able to continue to operate one of your other pistols.
That is the way I rack slides and have been doing so for several years. It is also how I have taught dozens of women to get their slide back to slide lock. HOWEVER: With advancing age, lessening strength and arthritis, I have gotten to the point where i simply CAN NOT rack the slide of most guns. My Glock 42 used to be easy to rack. Now there is no way I can get the slide back all the way, let alone to slide lock, without using a HandiRacker.

Guns I can still use and rack the slide are: The Shield EZ; The SIG P238 (with the aluminum frame, not the all steel version); The M&P .22 compact; The Browning 1911-22. I also have a Ruger Mark IV Lite and had to spend $50 to get the halo "charging ring" in order to pull the bolt back to lock....actually in order to move the bolt even a little bit! It is not pretty but it sure works.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
It's never good to get a gun that has a problem of some kind, but usually those with a problem gun get a lot more print time than those of us that have never had a problem with the same gun. After all, it's boring to read post after post of how great our guns are... but I've had a .380EZ for almost 2 years with a lot of rounds through it and I've not had any problems with it or the 7 magazines I have for it. I've also read very little on any forum about others having problems either, at least not after the problems they had with it for a short time after it first came out.

Hopefully S&W will get you taken care of pretty quick before your post becomes another one of those used as one of the often repeated examples of how bad this gun is, when it isn't. If I carried I would have no problems trusting it as a carry gun.

Mike

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I must be one lucky guy because my .380EZ has NONE of the problems mentioned here. I've tried everything I can think of to not be able to insert a full magazine with one in the chamber and not be able to. Every mag I have will load with a round in the chamber. No problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no problem with the gun. The magazine is the problem. I too can insert a loaded magazine in the gun with one in the chamber with no problem. I didn't know that this was an issue with some guns. I went to Bass Pro Shop today where I purchased it and the manager gave me a new magazine off the rack. Hopefully, this will solve the issue.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My EZ is one of the early ones. Normally I'm not a beta tester, but I had become so frustrated with my Bersa BP380cc every time it needed to be field stripped and cleaned that I was more than ready for a replacement. SO, in Aug. 2018 I packed up Bertha the Bersa and took her to town and the first of our many LGS's we stopped at just happened to have that EZ I had been reading about in stock. And it was the model with no manual safety lever, which I prefer. I played with it for quite a while and agonized over making the trade since they were offering me the usual store extremely low trade in price.......went out, got almost to the car and Gramps looked at me and asked me why I said I was going to go home and think about it. Fair question! I turned around, walked back in the store and made the trade.

One thing that helped me decide is that both my IWB Vedder Light Tuck and my Nelson custom leather hang-from-the-belt range holster that I had for Bertha fit this EZ very well. That reduced the "price of the gun" since I didn't have to buy two good quality holsters. Her name is Zelda. (That's EZ spelled backwards......:D )

I'm going to get her out of the safe to see: IF I keep a really high and tight grip, keeping the grip safety firmly depressed - if I can insert a loaded magazine with one in the chamber. One of our members sent me a PM and asked me if perhaps the grip safety was causing the magazine insertion problem, so it is worth trying.

·
Registered
790 Posts
UPDATE on magazine insertion problem

This morning I got my EZ out of the safe to see IF the grip safety actually is what is preventing the magazine from inserting when there is a round in the chamber.

LO AND BEHOLD: When I keep a super high and tight grip, with the grip safety depressed all the way, and have one in the chamber, a loaded magazine slides in slick as a whistle!

Many Thanks to bill80 who asked me in a PM if that could be the issue. Indeed, it is.

·
Registered
790 Posts
BACK TO SQUARE ONE - Oh nuts

Range bag is packed, so without a round in the chamber but with the slide in battery I found that YES I could easily insert a mag with 7 rounds but no way would the fully loaded one go in for me. When the slide is locked back the fully loaded magazine slides and clicks in place in with no problem at all.

SO we are back to square one, sort of. If using the Shield EZ for SD or competition, where you need a quick mag change with the slide in battery and one still in the chamber, all magazines except the first one need to be downloaded to only 7 rounds.

AND WE ARE BACK to the gun can't be carried 8+1.........at least not by me!

As said before, I don't carry this gun for SD, but that is disappointing in any case.

Gramps said maybe if you cut/file off the end of that piece that seems to be blocking the insertion of the full mag......NO, NO, NO.......he's not a gun smith and who knows what might happen if that end piece was cut off? I'm sure not going to be the one to find out.

Got to get ready to go now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts