Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sd9 owners out there. Has anyone bought one of these in the last year? I bought the one that was released for Academy sports to sell. It’s a sweet gun. I put a light on it and love it. My question is, is this gun any different than the one that was released back in 2010-12 era? I have read where that one was discontinued but then this one is out now. Is there a difference other than manufacturing dates? Last question, is it safe to install a ss guide rod with factory spring?
Hand Watch Air gun Trigger Finger

·
Banned
2,291 Posts
I bought my MA-compliant SD9VE back in 2014. It sounds like you're looking to compare your Academy special edition... which I think is a nice improvement over the standard SD9VE... to the more expensive all-black SD9 (non-VE) model that preceded the "Value Edition" changes/cheapening. I wish I could help you with that, but pre-VE SD9's are rare and very hard to find in my area. I don't think I've ever even seen one in person. :( The Bible might help in that regard... i.e., pinpointing the engineering changes that were made to the premium SD's to come up with the VE versions.

As for the SS guide rod, that has been discussed more times over on the "other" S&W forum than even the dreaded revolver IL. :giggle: I think consensus recommendation is to leave the factory set-up alone... however, I see that a lot of vendors have entered the SD9VE SS guide rod replacement business... so someone must be buying and installing all those parts. :unsure:

The issue used to be the scuffing of the inside of the frames. Not sure if that is still an issue. :confused:

I left mine alone, but I'm an all-stock kind of guy. :)

·
Registered
17,169 Posts
Currently on the S&W website, there is the SD and the SDVE. The SD is the Academy version. The only real difference I can see is the SDVE is listed as having a SDT, described by S&W as:
SDT™ - Self Defense Trigger for Optimal, Consistent Pull
First Round to Last

This is the 8# trigger that everyone complains about. I shoot revolvers a lot so it doesnt bother me.
No mention of what the trigger pull is like on the SD. Also it appears the SDVE is only available in a black frame, stainless slide configuration. The SD comes in a dark grey frame and slide or FDE frame with grey slide

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if the academy special edition that I have is simply the old SD9 with hi-viz sights. The trigger is definitely 6-8lbs. It’s a sweet gun. I figured leaving it stick with the guide rod is best. Seems like the most “upgraded” items are the guide rod and the trigger. I have seen the trigger can cause issues with not releasing the striker causing it not to fire so I want to stay away from that too. Other than the slide being black and having the fiber optics sights I don’t see a difference in then VE. Obviously the slide says SD9 only doesn’t add in the VE. There’s no reason for me to care other than just to know. I bought it bc I love the way it feels in hand and it was only $379 at the time they have since gone up a little. I love the way my shield feels, had a glock and didn’t like the way it felt in hand. S&W much better feel. 🤫

·
Banned
2,291 Posts
There’s no reason for me to care other than just to know.
Logic would dictate that there would have been no point in S&W going backwards (engineering-wise) if the SD9VE is truly considered to be a superior functioning gun to the original SD9. I think what you've got is an SD9VE that was enhanced with better sights and a better finished, much better looking slide. It is interesting (and a little confusing) that S&W chose to give it the model name of the original SD9, but I wouldn't read too much into that. I think you've got a very nice gun there for a bargain price. (y)

Jaw Sleeve Gesture Plant Beard

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is pretty much what I was thinking. I appreciate the feedback. Guess I’ll keep the guide rod stock. I am tempted tho to change the trigger only. Not the actual springs. I like the center safety rather than the dogleg hinge safety. I have just read about 1/2 the folks had to file down the back of the trigger to get it to fully release. I don’t want to have to do that. Guess best bet is leave it all as it is.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is pretty much what I was thinking. I appreciate the feedback. Guess I’ll keep the guide rod stock. I am tempted tho to change the trigger only. Not the actual springs. I like the center safety rather than the dogleg hinge safety. I have just read about 1/2 the folks had to file down the back of the trigger to get it to fully release. I don’t want to have to do that. Guess best bet is leave it all as it is.
If you install the Galloway Boudica carbon fiber trigger you won't have to file ANYTHING, like you will have to with the APEX trigger. And, it's almost half the price of the APEX trigger.
Boudica Short Stroke Trigger for Smith & Wesson SD VE and Sigma VE Pistols > Galloway Precision
Peripheral Computer Input device Air gun Personal computer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can I ask what didn't you like about it? (in the market for sd9ve but I like this version with the black slide and hi-viz sights better) How much did you sell it for?
I couldn’t get past the heavy trigger pull and didn’t want to do any modifications. Just wish I had kept it and just put it in the box. Yeah the black one with hi Viz sights was sweet. Sold on consignment at LGS for $350

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you install the Galloway Boudica carbon fiber trigger you won't have to file ANYTHING, like you will have to with the APEX trigger. And, it's almost half the price of the APEX trigger.
Boudica Short Stroke Trigger for Smith & Wesson SD VE and Sigma VE Pistols > Galloway Precision
View attachment 538466
I can concur, I put just the trigger blade in my SD40VE, wanted to keep the heavier self defense trigger weight but absolutely despised the hinged curved trigger. From what I've gathered there are very few replacement sights for the SD or SDVE. My solution to the problem, sending the slide and the green dot I want, to Galloway to mill for me. 165.00 +return shipping, I've been looking for tritium or hi viz fiber optic sights for months, haven't found any.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts