Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I recently picked up a new Model 19 classic line. Great looking gun, and it fires great at the range. There is a potential issue I would like to get feedback on.

The cylinder does not open as smooth as my 586. To get the M19's cylinder to open, I have to of spin the cylinder as I push it out. Simply pushing the cylinder out without rotating will not easily push the cylinder open. The range officer at my range had the same experience when he was using the gun.

So, I decided to check the cylinder gap and the gap is not "even" on both sides. On the side with the cylinder arm(?) the gap measures about 0.010 inches. The testing strip goes most of the way through though, but gets stuck on the opposite side. If I test the gap on the side without the cylinder arm, there is almost no gap at all.

I have no perceived problems when I fire the gun.

Thoughts?

-Adam

·
Registered
12,656 Posts
I would call S&W and explain the problem. They will probably want to see the gun and will email you a prepaid shipping label. I would include a brief but thorough written explanation describing the problem you are having right in the box with the gun. Follow shipping instructions and send it in. It may be an unevenly cut forcing cone, but it could be that the yoke is tweaked a bit or the entire barrel assembly is screwed in crooked or maybe something else, and that's why I would send it in

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
These revolvers have a tensioned lined / sleeved barrel design that is new for Smith and Wesson guns. It could be that they are having some issues with manufacturing engineering and consistency / quality control.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
.004 to .008 is considered "in spec", that one sounds like it needs to go back to the factory. There are several things that could be wrong: bent yoke, bent frame bad barrel, etc..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Spec for Smith and Wesson is .004 to .010. I have the same firearm with the same issue. It gauges out to .010. Its a shame for $750 you would think they would take the time to make sure that tolerances weren't garbage .006 is the Agreed upon spot. BUT that being said S&W doesn't have to worry about quality they are just pushing quantity. Ive bought 3 S&Ws in the past month sent one to Smith and Wesson to have the cylinder replaced (Brand New Never Fired) came back .010 Cylinder gap. Called Customer service was told .004 to .010 was spec. Received a 642 the forcing cone was so baddy burred I just took it to a local gun smith to have them try and save the thing, it agues .008. All keeping in mind these guns are all BRAND NEW never fired with NO cylinder shake. So this issue WILL get worse. 3 guns 1 month 2 sub par firearms. Im does with Smith and Wesson. Instead of making the firearms BETTER they just stretch out the acceptable tolerances. Unacceptable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts