Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here it is. I have never had a dedicated space for my reloading stuff. I always would set up a temporary space and then take it apart when I was done. I've finally started to set up a small room for my reloading/mancave. The bench will be 5 ft. long and 42" deep with a 4 tiered shelf unit across the back 12"deep with a working space of 30" deep for the press and related eq. Since I have a wonky back I would like to be able to both stand and sit while I reload. Suggestions on a set height for said bench. I will be bilt using 2x4's for the frame , 3/4 plywood for the top and 4x4's for the legs. Heavy duty so it won't move or wiggle. Any advise will be appreciated so I don't have to do this build more than once.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Set it up like a laboratory bench. Get a laboratory stool (adjustable height) with a foot rest and back rest. Consider doubling up on the 3/4 inch plywood top.

).

I got a great lab stool at a used office equipment store locally.

Camera accessory Chair Gas Tints and shades Font

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Set it up like a laboratory bench. Get a laboratory stool (adjustable height) with a foot rest and back rest. Consider doubling up on the 3/4 inch plywood top.

).

I got a great lab stool at a used office equipment store locally. The 3/4" top will be overtop of a 2x4 base. I already have a lab type stool. Looking at the article it looks like the 37 to42" height is what I am aiming for.

View attachment 519277

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
My presses are installed in a maple top workbench that is 2 inches thick (solid maple). The extra mass on the table helps keep things stable as you use the presses.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts

).

I got a great lab stool at a used office equipment store locally.

View attachment 519277
You don't need 3/4 plywood or even doubling it. My top is 3/8" thick. Doubled the 2x4's at the front for the presses. Everything is rock solid and has been for years. Currently it holds 4 Mec shotgun presses, 2 Dillon progressive presses and a RCBS single stage press. Pics are old. All rock solid in use.
Hint on your shelves. Get the slotted post with shelf hangers(comes in different widths). Then you can adjust for the height of the idems. ALSO add a recepticle for your tumbler and such.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
congrats on the reloading area. one suggestion. I have dove tale slots on one of my benches, and can change out equipment as I need to. easy to make, and it improoves the versatility of your bench.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of great ideas. The room itself is small so space is limited. I'm still sorting ideas and appreciate all the input. When I get started on the build, hopefully in a week or 2 I'll keep youse guys & gals posted as to progress.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
your 3/4" ply with 2x4 frame will be fine. Try to bolt it to the wall. You may also consider a top layer of hardboard. Much smoother and nicer than plain plywood,

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
your 3/4" ply with 2x4 frame will be fine. Try to bolt it to the wall. You may also consider a top layer of hardboard. Much smoother and nicer than plain plywood,
I was planning to paint the finished top with a marine epoxy paint ( white ).

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I was planning to paint the finished top with a marine epoxy paint ( white ).
Whatever floats your boat:)
Paint will look like you know paint.:)

I have painted several boats and White is BRIGHT!

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The epoxy is a 2 part and is hard as Woodpecker lips. It will clean up easily with Simple Green. The white should reflect light and will show up any spills or small parts.

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
Well here it is. I have never had a dedicated space for my reloading stuff. I always would set up a temporary space and then take it apart when I was done. I've finally started to set up a small room for my reloading/mancave. The bench will be 5 ft. long and 42" deep with a 4 tiered shelf unit across the back 12"deep with a working space of 30" deep for the press and related eq. Since I have a wonky back I would like to be able to both stand and sit while I reload. Suggestions on a set height for said bench. I will be bilt using 2x4's for the frame , 3/4 plywood for the top and 4x4's for the legs. Heavy duty so it won't move or wiggle. Any advise will be appreciated so I don't have to do this build more than once.
When I built mine, I used marine grade 3/4" plywood, 2 layers thick, glued and screwed 2' X 4' to fit the racking frame (3 frames lined in a row) with a 12' piece of counter stock on top. I could stand on th eedge of that counter stock with zero movement. The top was screwed to the frame AND to the studs in the wall - it got left with the house when I moved. The center height was right at 36" so I could stand or use a barstool to sit - gave me leeway either way. Pegboard went on the wall and the balance scale, dies, accessories, etc went on the shelves while underneath went the bulky/heavy stuff like lead shot and bullets, bage of wads, buckets of brass, loaded ammo, etc.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slight change of plans on the bench construction...Found a steel bench with a top shelf and abuilt in lite with a 3 outlet strip for 109.00. It's will fit my needs perfectly . With the price of lumber and hardware I can buy this at Harbor Freight and be ahead of the game. Yeah I know it's Chinezeum but with my budget it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Audio equipment Gas Table Machine Engineering

I redid my bench a few months ago because my ammo overflow exceeded what my main floor could support. This is sitting on a concrete slab.

Bought some industrial shelving from the local big box hardware store, chopped it down to size with a grinder. It had wire shelves so I laid carpeted 3/4” sheets of plywood over them so the heavy ammo cans slide easy in and out. Makes getting to the cans in the back much easier. Sheet of 3/4” plywood under a basic counter top, original wire shelf under that. All braces that came with the shelves are installed. Has close to 2,500 lbs of ammo sitting on it and it’s held up nicely the past few months.

The bench itself cost me $400 to build and I added 2 stools from Harbor Freight at $100 each. Standing or sitting, this setup works very well. I like the motorcycle seats because I can plant my feet on the ground to stay stable and move around while the seat still supports my body weight. It’s more cumbersome with round barstools. These stools are on wheels.

Powder is overhead… If you notice the little step stool folded up in the pic above, between the bench and the wall, that’s how I access my powder.
Product Photographic film Rectangle Water Shelf

·
Registered
53 Posts
There’s a craftsman 4 drawer bottom tool chest just out of view of the camera that has all my dies, tools in it. It has a carpeted plywood top I cut for it. Makes for another small table top I can move around.

This room is 7’8” x 8’. There is also an 88 gun safe just right of the camera view. All that fit in this tiny little room.

That be the safe behind me. (Goofy pic I know. I was about to shoot a review on those drums… they sucked btw).

Hand Revolver Arm Photograph Organ

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Who needs barbells for weight lifting. See - you can combine your hobbies!

Reactions: timcolr

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There’s a craftsman 4 drawer bottom tool chest just out of view of the camera that has all my dies, tools in it. It has a carpeted plywood top I cut for it. Makes for another small table top I can move around.

This room is 7’8” x 8’. There is also an 88 gun safe just right of the camera view. All that fit in this tiny little room.

That be the safe behind me. (Goofy pic I know. I was about to shoot a review on those drums… they sucked btw).

View attachment 521514
Thats quite an elaborate set up. I don't need anything that large as I only have 1 single stage press and will only reload 4 rifle calibers and 2 pistol calibers. I can only afford to shoot on a very limited basis due to a very tight budget.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts