Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Primary mission was to get out with the Henry since its return and see if it was indeed fixed and man oh man the thing cycles like glass. What great fun to shoot and it ate not only some 70 rounds of Remington HTP 158gr SP but about 30 of my reloads without issue. Sweet!

But since it was a revolver cartridge day I figured I would bring some friends along

the trio.jpg

I needed to try the underwood 158 gr 38 Special through the Airweight since I have it loaded up but hadn't had a chance to try it. For the 642 I bought their standard pressure. I sent 5 rounds down range and I was deadly accurate with it but it is stout. I dont do rapid fire as fast as I can pull the trigger but do fire one right behind the other quickly and not spending time with a bullseye picture and ... the ammo is dead on and I feel good about it as a carry round. Might not be perfect if you are recoil sensitive or dont have your grip nailed but I am confident it will do the job nicely if god forbid I ever had to use it for more than punching paper. I should add that they were a touch sticky ejecting.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/38-special-158-grain-lead-semi-wadcutter-hollow-point-gas-check?variant=18785707458617

Then I went into my reloads and fired about 50 rds at 3.1 gr of hp38 under a 158gr lswc and wasnt getting the high shots I got on my last outing So the high shots on my last outing must have been me. I also fired about 20 with 3.5 gr .. I couldnt actually feel much of a difference.

I broke up my shooting between quick silhouette and some more bullseye'y stuff. For the silhouette I put the target out at 7 yds and from a low ready brought up the gun and fired the cylinder fast point shooting. So while i had the gun up high enough to see past my sights I was focusing on the target. Did about 35 rds of this and made a nice group right in the red. Sweet little shooter.

I then switched over to my favorite small target shooting and This is one of the targets at 7 yds and this was 4 cylinders. Not fast but Fire, follow trigger out fire so I would call it quick. This guy is earning a very special place in my heart! It was great going out all week for my little power walk with just this little guy stuffed in my jacket pocket!

642 second outing.jpg

Of course .. It wont be revolver day if I dont shoot my 686 and man has that trigger turned into something DELICIOUS! My wife shot it today too and loved it. Now I had just spent an hour a few days ago cleaning it so wasn't all that keen to shoot it today and promised myself .. just a few rounds but like M&M's you cant have just a few so I landed up shooting some 50+ rounds easy. Even did 2 cylinders with The Remington HTP 158gr .357. Man what a boom... sure does get everyones attention when you light those bad boys up.

After that I shot a bunch of my 38's and my practice 38's are 4.5gr of HP38 with a 158 gr LSWC. Nice little pop but pretty soft. LOVE THIS GUN and it puts the biggest grin on my face. I kept things short today since my wife was playing along and believe it or not .. here are 21 rds at 7 yds fired pretty fast or at least faster than I usually shoot. Like I said .. no circus is going to pick me up as a trick shooter so I know I am no great shakes but .. it made me happy!!

686 tar 21 .jpg

So all in all .. it was an outstanding fun day at the range. I am so glad its something the wife and I can go out and do and love doing together and always trying to improve on the last time. She played with every gun I borough out today and of course "her" Ruger.

Now I have to clean them all again! UGH

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Great range report. It sounds like you have an excellent day with some great weapons. Oh and by the way excellent shootin’!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey B,

FUN TIMES!

GOOD FOR YOU!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360 and Boriqua

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only my second time out with the 642 but I am sold! Wish I had gotten one sooner.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Excellent shooting. Why don't you teach your wife to clean those guns. She may really enjoy doing that and you might not have to clean guns "ever again." For me, cleaning guns is great therapy. Almost as good as shooting them.

Well, let's put it this way: I clean all the guns I can get my hands on, but hubby gets strange/funny sometimes when I volunteer to clean HIS guns for him. I think he is afraid they won't work right if they get REALLY CLEAN the way I do it. :2213-2214:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent shooting. Why don't you teach your wife to clean those guns. She may really enjoy doing that and you might not have to clean guns "ever again." For me, cleaning guns is great therapy. Almost as good as shooting them.

Well, let's put it this way: I clean all the guns I can get my hands on, but hubby gets strange/funny sometimes when I volunteer to clean HIS guns for him. I think he is afraid they won't work right if they get REALLY CLEAN the way I do it. :2213-2214:
I am sure she would do a fine job but I dont know that I would be comfortable with anyone cleaning my guns but me. She on the otherhand has no such hangup and I always clean "her" Ruger after each outing and she never complains :)

·
Registered
22,096 Posts
Congrats on some fine shooting. Nothing like spending time at the range. :cool:

Reactions: Boriqua
1 - 12 of 12 Posts