Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a nice M60 I picked up today. I can't pass up a nice snubby, the stocks number to the gun and it came with the T-Grip and is tight as a drum!!. $250.00.

Excuse the crappy cell phone picture, it looks much nicer in person: Also can someone tell me the DOM? R241XXX

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
So who did you steal it from?
Well done!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Dom,

Nice looking model 60 you got there. Looks to be 1979-1980 based on SCSW.

Darn you Ken...you beat me to it!

·
Administrator
8,112 Posts
That's a great deal! Congrats!

By the way, according to the SCSW3 it looks like 1979-80. Nice find..

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
azmick said:
So who did you steal it from?
Well done!
LOL, you see, it is actually a problem for me, this shop always has nice revolvers for sale at great prices, he had a HB M10 sitting there for $199.00 last week. Seems the guys around here are all into autos and not revolvers. So many guns and so little money.

toroflow said:
Nice! Made in 1979.
Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I forgot to follow up on my range report, this baby is awesome! shoots like a dream. My first 5 shots were 4 in the 10 ring a one in the 9 at 7 yards. The double action is smooth as silk. I don't think this gun had more than a couple hundred rounds put through it in it's life time.

I am a relative newbie with handguns (Last 3 years)What is the deal with a good defense load? I have been reading until my eyes hurt. WC, SWC, DEWC, SWCHP, FBI loads etc. Do I need to worry about lighter grain loads with higher velocities flame cutting or is that just with the K-Frame .357s? From reading what Saxon wrote the +Ps won't hurt it. I was thinking about using the Hornady Critical defense rounds. Right now I have some 158g SJHP in it.

What do you all say?

·
Super Moderator
10,862 Posts
Hunter, as far as ammo goes, you will find as many different answers as we have members here. :D

Personally, I am a big fan of the Gold Dot short barrel loads. The Gold Dot is a proven expander at lesser velocities. I have seen many people write that the Hornady bullets (XTP's) are better at penetrating than expanding. That may be what you want though. How is that for confusing the subject? I will say that the handloads I have done using XTP's are extremal accurate.

On the other hand, if no Gold Dots available, I like the FBI load for my 642 snubbie. If the lead hollowpoint opens up, that is good. If it doesn't, it is still cutting a nice, deep hole.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I second Forester's recommendation concerning the Gold Dot round and the 158gr. SWC lead hollow point. I use one or the other in any .38 special I may use for personal defense. Again, as many different rounds as opinions, just my 2345ll
Bob

·
Registered
19,830 Posts
While a lot is said about choosing the "ultimate" self-defense load, I feel that the competence of the operator is more important than having a "designer" SD load. I feel that any 158gr. HP will do the job! I carry the old FBI load 158 gr. SWCHP +P, but only because that's what I have! ;) A 158 gr. SJHP would be my 2nd choice. I like the heavy bullit for good penetration, in the woods, or on the street.

Flame cutting is only a problem with the .357 loads. I use 158 gr. SJHP's in my M-66-1, exclusively. Use of too light loads in .357 can lead to leading and flame cutting. But, there are much more knowledgable people on the Forum, that can talk from experience. ;) Bob

·
Registered
273 Posts
My Snubbies, M 10,36,342, always use a 125 gr bullet. Lead re-loads for pratice JHP's for carry. Lighter bullets less recoil. It's a trade off, control with a light revolver or more effective round with a heavy bullet. I go for hits over power. If you can shoot it heavy is always better though.

Boats

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dom,

I picked up what appears to be a twin to your Model 60 a couple of months ago.... Also an "R" series gun in the 276,000 range.... I thought that I had done pretty well at $325.... but your price was a sweeeeeet deal.

As I have a brace of 640-1 Centennial Magnums I don't carry this 60 too much, but I do like it alot....

I shoot WW 158 grn +P Lead SWC Hollow Points and they soot to the sights at 15 yards.... I see no reason to use any other loads....

If you want to look at some data on performance of various loads here's something of a study performed of ammo performance in various actual shootings....

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingp ... ?Caliber=8

There has been some dispute between various "Magazine Experts" about the validity of this data, but to me it make pretty good sense....

Drew

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys!!

G

·
0 Posts
And the address and phone number of this shop that has "old revolvers for cheap prices" is????????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts