Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my first exercise in photo posting I thought I'd post a recent acquisition that's a little odd. It is obviously a model 681 L frame .357 mag but the model number stamped on the crane is "68-1". (There are no-dash model 68's and model 68-2's but no known examples of a real 68-1; 6" K frame .38 special.)

The new third edition of the standard catalog shows at least one other "68-1" stamping on a 681 and I've found two more besides mine so it doesn't appear to be uncommon for the S & W factory to make model stamping mistakes.

It's a nice shooter too! :) Ser. no. ADE 28xx, no lock 1983 edition, well used with a very smooth double action trigger.

BTW...my shooting club membership # is...681. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's a friendly place.

Nice 681 with a cool story. Thanks for sharing. BTW, has that front sight been shaved a bit?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cush said:
BTW, has that front sight been shaved a bit?
My money would be on "No".... 581'a and 681's are commonly seen with flatop front sights such as this....

Yes, and Welcome.

Drew

·
Registered
600 Posts
Always liked the 681's and it blows my mind why Smith never made a snub version(other than the 3" 581 PC gun). To me it would seem like the perfect carry gun with good balance and a no snag draw. They never consulted with me on it, they don't listen. kufO Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
197 Posts
yessir, nice gun...and I am with jamm as to there NOT being one of these in a shorter barrel as well as a round but grip.....I'd like one kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very nice 681, congrats! My favorite L-frame.

There were two PC 681's. The first run was a 3" quad ported barrel, 7-shot RB.

The second was a 3" unported, RB, 7-shot, with unfluted cylinder and a Birdsong black and green bake on finish.

There was also a VERY RARE run of 4" 7-shot, SB, 681's for a Sheriffs department in the NE. That run totalled 25 units. Regards 18DAI.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts