Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I broke down and bought (finally) a progressive press - Lee Breach Lock Pro. Since I already had the Auto Disk powder measure and the dies, the only thing I needed to start was the shell plate. There are some projects around the house that must be completed soon, and I still haven't decided on the best way/place to mount the thing, so it may be a few days before I have it up and running. I'll keep you posted.

Eventually, I'll add the priming system and a case feeder, but for right now it's basically just the press.

Hector

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Congratulations mate enjoy your press, take it easy no medals for speed, on a new progressive..

Thewelshm

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. Not expecting any high volume production records. The best thing is that I'll only have to pull the handle once per round vs 4 times for my turret press. Going to start with 9mm and eventually get the shell plates and bushings for 45 ACP and .357/.38 Special. The biggest problem right now is finding components, although I'm supplied for the moment.

Hector

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
Congratulations on the new press and hope it works well for you. I have a Dillon and have enjoyed it for about 8 years.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Got the press setup today to load 9 mm. After a decade or so of loading ammo on a turret press where you do one thing at a time, I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough for this machine where you do 3 things at a time. :p Seriously, it's just a matter developing a new rhythm and I think it will work well.

A case feeder is in the future and that should help a lot. Then I would only have to do 2 things at once. :giggle:

Hector

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a small unexpected windfall in the mail the other day, so I added the case feeder and collator, the Lee Priming system, and shell plates for .357 Magnum and .45 ACP. The case feeder is great as long as you watch the tubes and make sure to switch when one runs empty. Jury is still out on the Auto Prime, but I think I may have set it up incorrectly causing a lot of spilled primers which slowed me down a bit. Nevertheless, it feels faster than the turret press - especially when it's working right. If I have truly figured out the problem it should really blaze along.

Note that I've only loaded 9 mm so far. Next will be some .357. The .45 ACP will have to wait for a while 'cause I ain't got no boolets and I'm running low on primers.

Hector

·
Registered
24 Posts
Remember to keep an eye on the powder, sometimes you get in a groove watching the primers and placement of the bullet that you forget that you are running low on powder

·
Registered
573 Posts
Congratulations on your new press. May you shoot enough to wear it out....Unlike myself. About 6 or 7 years ago, I bought a like-new Dillon 650, with most of the stuff needed to load a couple of cartridges. So far, it’s not been used! A sad commentary for my life of recent. But, that’s slowly changing for the better!

Congrats again....enjoy! memtb

Reactions: 45acp230

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
You have completed the first step to buy a Dillon. Lee for continuous adjustment and fiddling, Dillon for reloading. A manually fed Dillon 550 beats a lot of other options.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hard to beat a Dillon 650 For handgun and small to medium rifle cartridges! Hank
One of these days, I’ll put mine to use! memtb

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
A Dillon 650 is production reloader if everything is correctly adjusted, brass is perfectly sorted, and primers feed properly through the primer mechanism. I've probably reloaded 100,000 rounds in the past 14 months ranging from 380 ACP to 45 Long Colt on 3 different D-650 machines all with case feeders. I would not take any of them even if free. I'm keeping my old Dillon 450 (small primers) and used Dillon 550 (large primers). I clean the primer mechanism every 2K rounds, and both run flawlessly except for 45 ACP. Sorting 45 ACP brass for small primers is a ROYAL pain in the eyeballs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts