Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Same BS here in the Land of the Soft and Lovely. In fact there are now newly opened canabis dens around town that only require an inexpensive Doctor's Note to enter and enjoy.... but light up a MonteChristo anywhere down town and see what happens.....

·
Registered
204 Posts
All I know is what I see. I went to my monthly weight watchers weigh-in this morning. As I walked out the door to go to my car I saw three or four real scroungy looking young men sitting on the sidewalk and leaning on the wall of the building in the direction I had to go. It was bad enough that I unzipped my little waist pack in case I needed to grab my gun. As it turned out, they were just there waiting for the new "medical" marijuana parlor to open up. Creeps!

·
Super Moderator
31,896 Posts
azmick said:
If a state tries to enforce the wrong laws, they will have Holder all over it
Too true! And by "wrong law" the feds view that as any law designed to protect the state and its citizens...just like in AZ. :shock:

·
Registered
7 Posts
A person smoking pot in their own home, working every day in important and responsable jobs and doing well at it, paying their taxes, and doing nothing that bothers anyone else, is in no way comparable to a child abusing pervert. In the firearms sense, one might as well compare a boyscout shooting a 22 target rifle to a madman with a kalashnikov shooting up a kindergarten.
I do not use pot...I am a DOT regulated truck driver. But, as a child of the seventies, I have known people who have used pot for decades, bothering no one, robbing no one, using no other drugs besides, perhaps, tobacco and alcohol. Employed, tax paying Americans.
Pot was made illegal for the most specious and even racist reasons imaginable.
When one compares the cost of pot's being illegal to the tax profit it could generate, there is no doubt what the rational thing is to do.
The drug war has been used to decrease our constitutional rights, as can be seen presently with the presumption that our legal weapons are tools of the mexican drug cartels that must be banned.
Fairly ironic and humorous to see that posted next to the gadsen flag and over "evil flourishes when good men do nothing" Evil flourishes when an otherwise honest American growing pot for their own use gets sent to prison because the police used an IR scanner to detect grow lights through their walls and served a warrant.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Drew I'm going to have to disagree with you on this issue, a person smoking pot is no different than consuming alcohol. And to compare it to a pedo is beyond the pale. I would think our government has better things to do than intrude in our privacy. never tried it my self but I might just to see what all the hullabaloo is about. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
amd6547 said:
"I do not use pot..."

"Pot was made illegal for the most specious and even racist reasons imaginable."

Save your breath Captain Moonbeam..... You're making no point with me, and I doubt you are either with many other people here.

For every example you provide to justify your position, I can supply you with two whereby smoking Marijuana has lead to the abuse of other, harder drugs or other negative family, work or social impact.

If you want to make this a personal attack, then I would say that I seriously doubt your first statement.

CP, My Friend, my comments do not speak to the comparison between pedophilia and dope smoking, rather to my personal, hard won views and observations concerning the liberalization of dope laws.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
amd6547 said:
Comparing pot to NAMBLA...fairly dispicable.
Legalize it.

As the originator of this thread, I must set you straight on something. I did not compare smoking pot to molesting children, I compared the lobbying groups to NAMBMA and ACLU. One of the beauties of this country is that one may openly petition for the legalization of one’s hobby or lifestyle, for good or ill.

If laws may be ignored by one portion of the population while being enforced against another, that is called arbitrary enforcement. See the privileges and immunities clause of the 14th amendment! If there is so much pot smoke obscuring your vision or clouding your mental processes, then listen to Fox News regarding the refusal to prosecute the Black Panthers for voter intimidation!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting post me being a recovering stoner i dont miss smoking pot its been 9 years since i been clean.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daveht said:
Remember before this goes south. Play nice people.

Thank you!
Dave; Anyone calling for equal treatment under the law is not going south.

I, for one, do not care even slightly about folks smoking whatever they like, but I care a whole lot when some folks can say or do with impugnity things that will get others prosecuted.

Willie

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Oh yeah, more tax money for the gov't :roll: that's a great reason to legalize it :lol:
Just what the gov't needs, more money to enslave more subjects. :roll:

Btw, I know "otherwise honest" heroin addicts. Shall we leave them alone too?

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I'm on your side Drew. Legalize alcohol, now pot, whats next? LSD? Heroin? paint fumes? Surely no one is naive enough to believe there won't be a next step. All of this became illegal for a good reason. I can't see why anyone who wants to get high can't settle for alcohol knowing it will be out of your system in 24 or less hours - the other stuff is there a LOT longer.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This will all be sorted out by prop. 19 which is very likely to pass in November! It will become legal to grow, possess and distribute pot, so long as one has the licenses issued by the state and pays the tax.

Now comes the rub. There is federal preemption at work here! If you do not understand, think the Arizona Immigration enforcement law. State & Federal law will come into conflict. How will Justice react? I am not sure, but what I am sure of is that during the last Democratic administration, approximately ½ of the White House staff had to be issued daily passes instead of the regular pass. Marijuana violations don’t you know!

Willie

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Hah! Way to go, Willie, you beat me to the punch on the Prop. 19 angle!

As it happens, if Prop. 19 passes -- and I think there's a good chance it will -- there will be a whole slough (or is it a slew?) of unintended consequences.

Advocates in the state bureaucracy think it will generate a bountiful harvest of tax dollars. Growers and would-be growers anticipate huge profits (well, at least they're entrepreneurs).

But licensing implies a whole new state bureaucracy to manage procedures and enforce standards (in California, government is ever and always a growth industry). Procedures and standards imply protocols for growth, harvest and production to guarantee and regulate toxins, levels of purity and a whole range of other matters, including packaging and distribution. And I'm betting most all of this is going to be beyond the capability of your average joint-roller and bedroom/backyrd dope farmer to manage compliance. In short order it will be an agribusiness.

And so it goes, in the last days of the empire...

Bill
(picks up soapbox. Leaves.)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bill all that is correct. There is another angle though that has not been explored. We will have, in net effect, State officers and employees conspiring with federal felons to engage in the distribution of illegal drugs!
Which of those state folks if any are to be prosecuted! There will most certainly be arbitrary enforcement, and that is what is at the heart of this thread. Just how the feds will react is strangely unclear, but we must all understand that if you allow a law to be on the books under which someone’s political enemies may be prosecuted, that is going to happen.
How many state grand juries were impounded to finally get an indictment of Tom DeLay?

Willie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts