Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,017 Posts
Get lower cost standard velocity like the Federal mentioned above or Winchester FMJ 115gn (not the NATO version).

As mentioned below, stick with brass case ammo. I avoid the steel case ammo for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
Based on mine and the comments from people here, You have a great pistol that you should enjoy.

As for practice ammo, I would buy whatever brand name is on sale, (Federal Winchester, Remington etc.), but personally, I avoid steel cased like the plaque and do not like aluminum cased stuff either. This is not a target pistol, so whatever bullet weight you find that runs well in your Shield, but I have never of one that was picky.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome and you chose a great little pistol.

As others have said, any name brand FMJ ammo will do for plinking and practice.

Now, when it comes to carry ammunition you're going to get a number of opinions, all of which are probably good. Again it'll boil down to personal preference and what works best in your gun. To be honest, in mine everything I've tried has worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have pretty much stuck with CCI Blazer 115 or 124. Bought some Federal on sale (rebate last week). I have heard Federal makes CCI bu cannot verify.

Stick to good names, don't buy cheap. I tried some and it was dirty! Stick to what you would trust your life on, you may have to someday.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I just bought one too on Monday. Bass Pro made me an offer I couldn't refuse! With a S&W $50. rebate, it was $199. out the door. I'm still a little "gun shy" buying a new gun from S & W but I will hope for the best. Last new S&W gun purchase last year was a M640 for my GF for Christmas. It fired once and locked up. Had to be shipped back for "unknown " repairs meaning they never fully explained what they fixed. On the other hand, all the reviews for the Shield 9 have been stellar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts