Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New to the forum and my first post. I have a number of S&W revolvers including some newer ones that have the barrel insert/shroud method of installation where the barrel is seperate from the shroud. I recently bought a 610 which had to have the barrel properly indexed. I thought it was odd because the new method of barrle installation should preclude this. However this brand new 610 had the standard crush fit screw in barrel with integral shroud. I thought S&W didnt do this anymore?

·
Registered
12,612 Posts
Some models use the barrel insert and shroud, some use the barrel with integrated shroud. I dont know all of which models use which method though. The 686 is a one piece, the m64 is a 2 piece. My Airweight J frames are 1 piece and I understand that the big X-frame guns are all a 2 piece design

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
I have other guns with lined barrels (including the P1 Walther post war P.38 style pistols) and they work fine.

I'm not sure that there is any advantage to consumers of these new design barrel systems. The manufacturing cost and waste is probably reduced.

My preference is for the older method of barrel production. Of course I ended up with a 686 with a slightly canted (off level) barrel mount a few years ago in a direct purchase from S&W.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts