Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Im happy to finally join this fine community. Currently living in MA and as of late have become a big fan of the S&W revolvers. I just recently purchased an airweight model 38 with the shrouded hammer. The problem that I am having is that when in double action, the hammer will not move back. It will start to grab at the beginning but will “slip” back, the hammer that is, after it had moved maybe 1/8” back. The gun seems to work, the hammer and trigger that is, if cocked to be used single action. When I get home tonight, I want to see what could be wrong. I did install an apex duty carry kit on that gun recently and just last night I shot about 150 rounds of 158gr 38spcl of multiple vendors. About 30 of those were +P rounds. It shot well through the night and it was not until I got home that I got the gun to inspect the fouling for cleaning that I noticed that it would not cycle in double action mode. The cylinder rotates and seems to index well but the hammer barely moves backwards. I was wondering if this could be a symptom of the “lock” mechanism doing something funky or if the apex kit may have caused this. My understanding is that the gun can handle +P rounds and if this is not correct, then it serves as further proof that I may not be as bright as I think I am. Anyways, any input and/or suggestions is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sir.
From your post.
"I did install an apex duty carry kit on that gun recently and just last night I shot about 150 rounds of 158gr 38spcl of multiple vendors. About 30 of those were +P rounds. "
I would suggest you look at the work you did see if all looks good. Make certain it is clean inside and out. You can make it original and see what works. If you can cycle the action with the side plate off, you will see what is bothering the action. Swapping parts on a new gun might impact your warranty.
If it is the ammo, you might have stressed a part. Any +P ratings on the gun or in the paper for it.
If you cannot figure it out, find a good gunsmith or call S&W for factory repair.
[email protected]
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. I cant wait to get home and see what is wrong with it. The kit only has springs so I doubt it has much to do but you never know, maybe it forced the mechanism to work a certain way that is not healthy. I just had those +P rounds laying around and I figure I used them all up. I dont personally like them, prefer the 38 specials with such a small gun. I will update the thread with any findings. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
I have a model 638 which is the stainless steel cylinder /barrel version. It is Plus P rated.I don't understand how it can fire if the hammer doesn't move. When pulling the trigger for a double action shot the hammer should move back almost as far as it would when cocked for single action. Sounds like something is not connected right after you worked on it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a model 638 which is the stainless steel cylinder /barrel version. It is Plus P rated.I don't understand how it can fire if the hammer doesn't move. When pulling the trigger for a double action shot the hammer should move back almost as far as it would when cocked for single action. Sounds like something is not connected right after you worked on it

Hi Jonesy, thanks for the reply. The gun, if I cock the hammer works well, it is in double action that it would not move. Note that I have been shooting it for a while after the upgrades. I did find the problem. I just got home and disassembled the gun. The trigger was not moving far enough forward for one of the parts to catch on it and move the hammer back. Further disassembly revealed that a splinter of wood had dislodged from the grips that I put in and lodged itself in between the trigger and the frame thus preventing its return for the next round. I removed the splinter and re-assembled it to confirm proper operation and it did work. I then disassembled it again to clean it and put it together. Seems to work fine now. I will try to post some pics of its innards for reference. Thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, here are some pictures showing where the problem was and what caused it. Yes, I know the gun is filthy but after shooting last night and then finding the problem, I left it to do it tonight. So, please be kind and look past its filthiness. Anyways, I will try it tomorrow to see how it runs. Thanks to all who replied. 30BB28B6-C5C0-43C3-BB77-B15410EDB05B.jpeg 685B9914-C972-40B5-B3F5-DD98F1A04A75.jpeg D6AB5ED5-4A3F-4406-93E3-C4A1D8BEE389.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you were able to get it operating correctly and that it was an easy fix for you!
Thank you, I would have been heart broken had it been something more serious. I guess I needed to look at it with a cool head LOL.
Thanks for the help again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts