Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been breakin' in a pair of new trail moccassin's. Pucker toe style in a double soled chrome tanned Moose leather. The damned things are unreal comfortable. And slippery as hell on wet rocks, loose gravel, or greasy mud. :mrgreen:

Been out doing some scouting and hunting this week in them. Learning to appreciate something new ;) Going out in the morning to ruin a porcupine or two's, ...day!

Plan on using my .36 cal squirrel gun again. Managed to put one down this afternoon in the Apple Orchard. He was sunnin' himself up on a limb... Never knew what hit him. It was a good head shot. Funny thing about these little beasts, they are really hard to kill with a single body shot.

giz

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
I've always liked to wear a pair of mocasins around the house, but outside, wears leather soles out pretty quick. Also, they're getting pretty expensive for the better quality ones. Bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gizamo,
Use that porcupine hide on the outside of your moccasins. Quill side out for better traction. :lol: :lol:

John

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Who made them? And can I see them?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Chrome Tanning is Cheating.... to be authentic you have to use Moose Brains.

I predict that you will regret the pucker-toes. Do they have a draw string so that you can adjust them as they shrink? A docked toe may not be as 'native' but they sure are easier to wear and will allow you to use your toes the way God intend them to work.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dom,

I went with the new Quoddy Trail Moccasin company. Quoddy has been around forever, but they are now revamped. Drew is right about the brain tanning being more period correct. However, the Chrome tanning is pretty amazing stuff. Each layer of my soles is about 3/16ths of an inch thick. The company cuts it's leather out in Lewiston Maine and assembles in Perry, Maine. Hate to say it, but I like to see my money stay in-State. ;) I'll pay the ransom these things cost to help keep Mainers working.

I'll try to get some pics in the daylight tomorrow....

And Drew,

They use a roller buckle, which is actually correct for the period to keep them tightened. Unlike traditional single layer mocs in brain tanned...they can keep these chrome tanned stiff...and less adjustment is needed.

Frankly, they are worth the money...and I'm really satisfied with them ~ now that they are breaking in.

giz

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Hey Giz!!!! Not "period correct"......but I wear New Balance Cross-Trainer's Alot!!!! :lol: Even for light hiking during the summer. It's the modern "whiteman's" equivalent to mocassins. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Moose brains!? I've got those, or so I've been told. Sorry, pal, but out here in the desert one does not wear moccasins. Everything you can imagine, and things you can't, has horns, thorns, fangs and poisonous intentions. And, will do its damnedest to inflict serious hurt on your skinny ass. Nope, not for me. oja;n

1 - 8 of 8 Posts