Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
It is a Government Model Series '70 (as in the 1970's). It has an "improved" collet intended to retard excessive movement and return the barrel to it original resting position. To the best of my knowledge other than that it is a Model 1911A1.

It is a single action semiautomatic which means the hammer must be cocked to fire the first round. It has both a thumb safety and a grip safety. I suspect you can find any number of online tutorials. I recommend you find a military veteran or other enthusiast to walk you through the process.

It appears to have enjoyed a rather gentle existence to date. The gun has decent value.
I've been informed that if you have a Series 70 Colt 1911 from Colt, you should replace the cut recoil spring plug, as the originals have a tendency to break.

I've been informed that if you have a Series 70 Colt 1911 from Colt, you should replace the cut recoil spring plug, as the originals have a tendency to break.
There is that reputation, I like to experiment...finger collet attached to a MkIV national match barrel (both 1960s) mated to a WWII Remington Rand slide on top of a Springfield Armory (modern SS) GI frame... great with ball, SWC and JHPs handload/factory ammunition...100% reliable during a 150 round heat test...load/fire as fast as I could pull the trigger under a 105F+ Arizona blue sky...heat is an enemy of 1911s...quality lubes are a 1911 ally. :)

Keep in mind, Army WWII training films advise not using sights <15 yards, like MOH recipient Alvin York did in WWI. 1911 Colts have a legacy unmatched by modern plastic, IMO.

"I've been informed that if you have a Series 70 Colt 1911 from Colt, you should replace the cut recoil spring plug, as the originals have a tendency to break."
Late to the party folks. Whom ever made the above statement is full of it. A broken recoil spring plug?? Really??
More than likely referring to the collet barrel bushing "fingers". I've never personally experianced an issue or anyone else that I know who has ever had an issue with a Colt collet barrel bushing and I believe the internet "commandos" have blown this way out of proportion. If a Forum member has personal experiance with a broken collet bushing please comment. O.K, my rant over.

If the O.P. comes back, lovely pistol!!, Its a Series 70 Colt Government Model. Please post the serial# or partial serial# so we (I) can date the pistol for you.

In case anyone has never seen or knows what the "indent" on a 1911 recoil spring plug is for, here is an explanation. I'm assuming the "cut" comment in the statement that I quoted above is referring to.
The indent hooks the end of the recoil spring so that the plug won't be launched off into space during field stripping if you loose your grip of the plug after turning the bushing. Colt discontinued this machining practise on their newer pistols with the dual (2) recoil springs.

Note the "indent" towards the end of the recoil spring plug:

Multipurpose battery Finger Office equipment Office supplies Thumb

You twist the end of the recoil spring into the plug so that the indent grabs and holds it.

Office supplies Font Eyelash Office equipment Writing implement

That indent is to keep the recoil spring somewhat attached to the recoil spring plug. The cuts I was referring are 4 actual slits part way up the plug. Kind of like slits in a ladies skirt. Your plug doesn't have these cuts or slits. The indent simple looks like it was put there to keep the recoil spring from "flying away" during disassembly. I can't tell you why, but that was my gun I'd replace both the plug and spring. Not supposed to be that way.

I am in the market for another one. ;)
A quick reminder, we do not permit the sale of or solicitation to buy or sell firearms on this forum. Do not engage in offers via the forum or via PM. This rule is for member safety because of the high incidence of scams occurring now.

I found my Colt Series 70 picture:
View attachment 558503

Like I said, I bought it new with the box and all of the paperwork.
I ordered mine and I passed up a used Colt National Match that was available in that gun store. It was right in the display case.

I wish that I had that to do over, I would have bought the Match right after ordering the MKIV.

In case anyone has never seen or knows what the "indent" on a 1911 recoil spring plug is for, here is an explanation. I'm assuming the "cut" comment in the statement that I quoted above is referring to.
The indent hooks the end of the recoil spring so that the plug won't be launched off into space during field stripping if you loose your grip of the plug after turning the bushing. Colt discontinued this machining practise on their newer pistols with the dual (2) recoil springs.

Note the "indent" towards the end of the recoil spring plug:

View attachment 559532

You twist the end of the recoil spring into the plug so that the indent grabs and holds it.

View attachment 559533
I lost my spring plug, when it went flying off, and bounced off of the wall, and I never found it.
I had to order another one.
But I had a .357 Magnum as my back up plan, and a Rem 870, so I wasn’t worried about being unarmed.😀

The one you are showing was made around '74/'75 when the roll stamping changed from the early large letters to the small lettering. It still has the nickled plated trigger which Colt installed in the series 70 pistols with the new collet bushing system after the initial 1500 Pre Production Run of Pre Series 70 pistols was completed. They also had the collect and were stamped "BB" on the barrel hood and under the serial number. The grips are original to your pistol. Yours appears totally unmolested from stock and will retain max value and increase if left that way.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.