Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I purchased a S&W model 4006 .40 caliber in early 1990 which came with 2-11 round magazines. Shortly thereafter to my understanding Ca. put an end to 11 round magazines. S&W offered to exchange the 11 round ones for 10’s if I sent back the 11’s. At the time I hadn’t given it much consideration, for years it stayed in its box. The 4006 went out of production early 2000. So, what I am asking here is help in obtaining 10 round magazines. Help would be appreciated. Steve

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
So, what I am asking here is help in obtaining 10 round magazines. Help would be appreciated.
Welcome aboard Steve! (y)

Factory OEM 10-round magazines for the full-size .40 3rd Gens are getting awfully scarce lately. I don't have any sources for you (other than eBay), but I wanted to warn you that some sellers are selling "pinned" 11-round magazines as 10-rounders. Be forewarned about them if you want genuine factory 10-rounders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard Steve! (y)

Factory OEM 10-round magazines for the full-size .40 3rd Gens are getting awfully scarce lately. I don't have any sources for you (other than eBay), but I wanted to warn you that some sellers are selling "pinned" 11-round magazines as 10-rounders. Be forewarned about them if you want genuine factory 10-rounders.
Thanks for the welcome & response. Being in Ca. makes things difficult. The 11 round mags. I have are grandfathered in but I can't sell or transfer legally. I have thought about pinning them but would rather not. It's difficult to understand if its even legal to satisfy Ca. regulations doing so. I've seen what Ebay has to offer, it seems that only 11 rounds are on the market. If someone has 10 rounds and would wish to have 11's I'd be happy to trade, but I believe it would have to another state that has no issues with the 11's. Again thanks for the response, the journey continues. Steve

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks for the welcome & response. Being in Ca. makes things difficult. The 11 round mags. I have are grandfathered in but I can't sell or transfer legally. I have thought about pinning them but would rather not. It's difficult to understand if its even legal to satisfy Ca. regulations doing so. I've seen what Ebay has to offer, it seems that only 11 rounds are on the market. If someone has 10 rounds and would wish to have 11's I'd be happy to trade, but I believe it would have to another state that has no issues with the 11's. Again thanks for the response, the journey continues. Steve
It appears that some states are okay with pinned magazines to meet their magazine capacity limits and other states are not. I think a lot depends on how the particular state statutes are worded. Here in MA, we are still allowed to possess pre-ban (pre-1994) magazines over 10-rounds, but there is nothing saying we can possess post-ban magazines over 10-rounds if they have been pinned down to 10-rounds. That would be legally risky here IMHO.

Good luck in your search. We are in the same boat here in MA as you are in CA. And soon, if Dementia Joe gets his way, we will all be limited to 10-rounds regardless of where you live. Crazy, but true. :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts