Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this a few months ago (coincidental with stay at home orders) and have read really good things about it. Only fired 38 spl so far because the magnum is impossible to find right now but it is fun at the range. Any suggestions for a change of grips? This one just doesn’t feel right for some reason.
43ADF64E-3DEA-421B-A19C-F6886BA35976.jpeg
B1D1D141-5514-492F-9801-D46DA49DD869.jpeg

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
Welcome! I found some S&W wood ones to replace the massive target stocks

Those aren't mine, but mine look VERY close to the ones on the left, as opposed to the these that came with it:

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Your first (note ... "first") revolver is an excellent choice! Hard to beat a Model 19. Four inch barrel is about as close to perfection as you'll ever come. The grips can be replaced. I've used Pachmayr Presentation grips for the last 40 years. In fact, the first pair I ever bought are currently installed on my Model 625-2. Wonderful combination! Winter or summer, rain or shine ... they work extremely well. And on the heavier recoiling calibers ... they certainly help with managing recoil. If you prefer wood, I'd suggest you take a look at the common S&W target trips. If those don't float your boat, there are a plethora of grip producers one of which will certainly have a model that will suit your needs/interest. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
First, welcome to the forum from West Tennessee. You bought the best revolver ever produced in my opinion. The only thing wrong with your gun is the grips. Altamont has great looking replacement grips for a very reasonable price. I would use 38 +P for defense. No need to use 357 unless you just like the abuse.

·
Registered
23,485 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Great looking 66 and your going to have lots of fun with it. I only have one. A 2.5" 66-2 which is my EDC.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Hi Bgarza01,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often.

Reactions: timcolr

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hello Bgarza01 and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Nice purchase!! Enjoy!!!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forum! Your first (note ... "first") revolver is an excellent choice! Hard to beat a Model 19. Four inch barrel is about as close to perfection as you'll ever come. The grips can be replaced. I've used Pachmayr Presentation grips for the last 40 years. In fact, the first pair I ever bought are currently installed on my Model 625-2. Wonderful combination! Winter or summer, rain or shine ... they work extremely well. And on the heavier recoiling calibers ... they certainly help with managing recoil. If you prefer wood, I'd suggest you take a look at the common S&W target trips. If those don't float your boat, there are a plethora of grip producers one of which will certainly have a model that will suit your needs/interest. Sincerely. bruce.
Thanks for comments I’ll probably check out the wood grips- the classic look! Btw- this is actually model 66-4.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, welcome to the forum from West Tennessee. You bought the best revolver ever produced in my opinion. The only thing wrong with your gun is the grips. Altamont has great looking replacement grips for a very reasonable price. I would use 38 +P for defense. No need to use 357 unless you just like the abuse.
View attachment 474969
Nice looking too. I think I’ll swap out to these wood grips. I like the idea of +P ammo. I don’t think these bullets will loose much to the magnum if they are well placed. The only reason I would consider magnum is loaded for home defense.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts