Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I haven't found this forum earlier. After reading many of the interesting posts I figured I would jump in.

I am in possession of my Father's 38 S&W that he brought back from WWII. As the story goes he traded his Army 1911 for a Canadian officer's 38 S&W. Dad thought the 38 was easier to carry and would probably shoot more accurately.
He mailed it to me when I had to pistol qualify for the Marines in 1972. He was correct....I qualified Expert 3 times.

The question I have for this august group is how old is this weapon? The Serial number is 714655, 6 inch barrel and it shoots .38 S&W rounds. I'm not interested in selling it as it has some other interesting history from WWII. It will be passed down to my son in the Navy. But it would be nice to know what this piece might be worth.

Thanks for your time and all your interesting facts/stories.

Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
29,984 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Great revolver and one to cherish and pass on.

Reactions: Blue2

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your precious family heirloom.

Reactions: Curt360 and Blue2

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
You might want to pull those stocks off and check to see if they have the s/n on the right panel. Also check to see if the strain screw is all the way in.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might want to pull those stocks off and check to see if they have the s/n on the right panel. Also check to see if the strain screw is all the way in.

Thanks K22. Strain screw is in all the way now. And the right side stock has the same serial number as the cylinder and bottom of the grip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was still in the Marines in 72 and we could only qual with U.S. Gov Property 1911's.
Nice looking S&W revolver
OxzarkMarine,
I was a Marine Aviator and they issued us a snub nose S&W 38 Special. Hence the ability to qualify with the S&W 38 instead of the 1911. Thank goodness too.... because I've got my wife's uncle's WWII 1911 and after taking it to the range I don't think the results would have been the same.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
It looks a bit dry to me. Oil those steel surfaces under the grips, and use well oiled 0000 steel wool to gently remove active rust oxidation and stabilize the steel surface.

The action may need cleaning and proper lubrication as well. Keep preserving gun oil off the grips.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
OxzarkMarine,
I was a Marine Aviator and they issued us a snub nose S&W 38 Special. Hence the ability to qualify with the S&W 38 instead of the 1911. Thank goodness too.... because I've got my wife's uncle's WWII 1911 and after taking it to the range I don't think the results would have been the same.
Well then, I'd better start calling you Sir.
Even though my uncle who enlisted in 1967 and had a Wing Wiper MOS (helos) told me that Marine Aviators didn't GAF if their maintenance chiefs, aircrew or even enlisted ground crewmen referred to them as sir or Joe.

Welcome aboard Blue2 from a 3516 Motor T Mechanic.
Semper Fi

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well then, I'd better start calling you Sir.
Even though my uncle who enlisted in 1967 and had a Wing Wiper MOS (helos) told me that Marine Aviators didn't GAF if their maintenance chiefs, aircrew or even enlisted ground crewmen referred to them as sir or Joe.

Welcome aboard Blue2 from a 3516 Motor T Mechanic.
Semper Fi
Thank you. And your Uncle was absolutely correct! Those were the guys that made sure "their" jets (or helos, etc) were in tip top shape. And they just let us borrow them for a while. We were honored to serve with them.
Semper Fi

Reactions: OzarkMarine

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,071 Posts
interesting gun and story, very nice revolver. With the orginal grips and finish it does appear to have led a comparatively sheltered life.

That one doesnt have any post war export or commercial proofing that i can see, so it didnt follow the 'regular' path of many of these BSR's (british service revolvers) into private ownership. The lack of inspection/in service and such does seem to indicate another commonwealth service - Canada certainly likely.

thanks for sharing..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.