Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. I found this at our very small local gun shop, which is actually a corner of the hardware store. S&W gave me a DOB of '82 based on the SN AYL94xx. From my reading I thought the 17-5 was produced after '88. What am I missing here?

It came with Pachmayr grips, boxes (including the Pachmayr box) and paper. Perhaps in the next few days I will get a chance to take it and it's cousins (a 28-2 and a 41) on an outing to the range.

·
Registered
162 Posts
JBC353, Welcome to the site. Someone at S&W gave you some bad info. According to the SCSW #3 your serial number comes in at Jan. 88. Nice lookin piece...... Best Regards..

·
Super Moderator
19,368 Posts
I did a bit of bookwork and your wheelgun does point to 1988.
The 17-5 is certainly 1988 and the Serial range AYE-AYM are listed as Jan 1988.

It's a real beauty. Enjoy it as much as you can.
Is it going to be a shooter or a safe queen for you?
It's always interesting to hear the answer to that question.
I hope it's a shooter for you.

hpzl;n; welcome01 hpzl;n;
and Welcome to the Forum. Make yourself at home.
Please stop by often & post too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was kinda thinking the guy at S&W might have got it wrong. He sounded like he was tired of answering the DOM question.

This gun is a shooter, like my others. The big fun is shooting them and then passing it over to the next guy to try. Someone, frequently me, always leaves the range saying "I gotta have one of those!". Great for gun sales. I have not been shooting long but have already shot more different guns than I knew existed a while ago.

I read somewhere that particular barrel is called a bull barrel. Correct?

·
Registered
162 Posts
JBC353, No... not termed a "bull barrel", but as RdrBill called it a non tapered barrel (also commonly called a heavy barrel). Best Regards...

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
nugfaong and welcome01

Nice gun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts