Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I am an active member on the Beretta Forum and Love my Beretta's but I was looking into a few .22's I can't justify spending 700+ dollars on a .22. To be honest the Cheetah series didn't really amazing me when I held them. I suppose I haven't really been amazed by any .22 which is why I don't mind going on the cheap end of the scale.

I rent a Ruger Mark 3 hunter which is a basically your nice heavy target pistol. I liked it a lot but the sight was terrible it was a red hi-viz sight. That can be changed but the gun is 480 dollars, I can afford a expensive 41a if I wanted but I'm not passionate about a plinking gun. If I paid taxes and changed out the sight it would probably run me around 575 ball park. Which brings me to this.

The 22a my friend let me shoot was half the price and I shoot better. He has TONS of guns, I'm talking hundreds of guns for 300 dollars to 2k dollars. He said

"Mike you show me a pistol that is 1k dollars and it shoots great and I'm happy because it should... but bring me a gun for 1/3 the price that shoots just as good and that impresses me".

I shot better with the 22a.

Now I have a few issues because I am allowed 1 gun per year to control myself.

I would like to get the stainless version. He had the 7 inch barrel version (non stainless) that was fine too. The Stainless steel version only come is a 5.5 barrel I believe and for shooting at 75 feet or less it will be fine. I really like the looks of the stainless version.

I noticed the grips are crappy and I'd like to replace them with the wood grips. I like wood grips and metal frames, thats just what I like.

Are they interchangeable from plastic to wood if I order them online?
Do you guys know of any other sites that my have nice wood grips that aren't ashy looking? I don't mind the ashy ones I just would like to know if I have options.

I would like to know if this Bushnell Trophy Red Dot will hook right up to the rail???
http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-1x28-trophy.html

If I customize this gun the way I want it, it will still be cheaper than the Ruger, and it will be "MY" own personal gun.

Any other red dots that are good quality that you guys know of I will consider too. I will not attach my Eotech 512 to this because that would be over kill and I don't want to switch back and forth.
Btw my dad has the S&W 696 I believe its the official "DIRTY HARRY" gun. That thing is stupid accurate. I had less that 1 inch groupings at 21 feet, and boy does it kick like a mule. I love that gun. Hands down the most accurate hand gun I've shot to date.

That is a real mans gun! :)

·
Super Moderator
33,397 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcome01

Your dad has a 696? Many people really love those, but the S&W 29 is the revolver used by Dirty Harry. Both are nice. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the picture and thats definitely the gun he has. The gun feels like its 5 pounds, and it kicks like a horse but boy is it fun.

Anyways answers on the questions?

·
Super Moderator
33,397 Posts
Focus Mike said:
I looked at the picture and thats definitely the gun he has. The gun feels like its 5 pounds, and it kicks like a horse but boy is it fun.

Anyways answers on the questions?
Sorry. The only .22 semi I have is a Browning Buckmark. Nice little plinker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Some pics I'd like to share.

Got her home yesterday. Didn't have time to clean her up, too busy doing snow removal and basically everyone in my families house, and I had to plow a parking lot. Wasn't a fun night for me in the least. I was tempted to pick it up today after work but I just wanted to get it over with.

By the by, they had a friggin 87 Target model in. It was brand new. First time I've seen one in brand new. I'm was excited about that but I am looking for the 87 Non-Target model. That one is going to be a winner.

·
Super Moderator
11,058 Posts
Nice pics Mike. I like the "after" shot where you replaced the front site. Looks like it may be a bit heavy at the muzzle though. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Welcome Mike, did you try the NEOS? I liked the way it felt in my hands better than the 22A. The grip is smaller and I have big hands, but I like the way it fits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I did not try the neos. I did hold it and did not like it. I posted up a review on the beretta forum. I don't want to play dj hero while stripping my gun like you do with the neos.

Link to my first review with this gun if you care to read it...

http://www.berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=57303

I am a beretta fan, but the S&W was too good to pass up. The only few flaws are tiny and for the price you cannot beat this gun. You can read what I liked / didn't in the link.

The Trophy red dot does make it a little nose heavy where I put it doesn't it LOL.

It keeps the insane recoil of the CCI standard velocity round under slightly better control. The 22 LR is one hell of a pistol cartridge let me tell yeah. LOL hahaha

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Mike, you either like the NEOS or hate it. The take down nut works for me. No tools needed. I have never cut myself cleaning it and I have put thousands of rounds of all kinds of ammo and never had a hiccup with my NEOS. As a matter of fact the thing is a tack driver.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Welcome, Mike! I must have been out at the Peach Orchard when this thread was first posted. I missed it completely. That's okay, though, as I have neither the NEOS nor the 22a. I did take a look at a NEOS at a local pawn shop this past weekend. Based on what was posted in another thread, I took a real close look at it. First one I'd ever seen. I passed on it 'cause they were asking a new price for a used gun. Maybe, in a week or so, the price will come down.

The 22a, eh, I have a Model 2213. Not the same as a 22a, but close enough that I can relate. I like it. It goes bang when I want it to and it is extremely concealable. Hell, it fits in a shirt pocket! That's not why I bought it, though. I bought it 'cause I thought it was "cute." And, it was inexpensive.

Well, good luck with that shooter. Not sure I like the looks of that "wart" hanging off its nose, but, what the Hell. See yuh!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you guys really think thats where the optic is?

The optic is not mounted I just laid it next to the gun, so you could see that there will be an optic mounted to it. LOL

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Focus Mike said:

The optic is not mounted I just laid it next to the gun, so you could see that there will be an optic mounted to it. LOL
LOL nope they are just funnin' with ya!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it might be a hot look for 2010... I'm just saying LOL :lol:

If I seen someone at the range with it like that I would crack up laughing.

·
Super Moderator
11,058 Posts
Hunter said:
Focus Mike said:

LOL nope they are just funnin' with ya!
Yup, sarcasm is just one of the services I provide. Free of charge. :mrgreen:

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 22A that is a great little shooter. It will digest just about everything except for the remington golden bullets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts