Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up our M&P .40 right before Christmas. We also own the .22 version and a shotgun. So this is my first real handgun, from a purely caliber perspective. I've only fired a handgun (other than my .22) a few times before. We (wife and I) are heading to a class this month or next, depending on the availability.

Anyway, back on track. I'm posting because I think my .40's sights are off. Admittedly I am a novice, but have gone out with a few experienced buddies and they have given me the basics. We all have fired the gun and while the size of the groupings differ between us, the groupings are always center-low. From 10 yards, I'm talking 8-12 inches low. Three of us shot it this past week, and all experienced the same results.

The factory sights do not allow for elevation adjustment - so am I just stuck? Or should I return to the shop and let them either work on it or return to S&W?

·
Premium Member
7,168 Posts
I have a Glock 23 in .40 S&W and love the gun and cartridge.

The recoil can be snappy and intimidating to a new shooter or someone who does not have alot of time shooting a .40 S&W.

No you are not stuck and I would not be sending it back to S&W just yet.

You are saying that the shots are centered but 8-12 inches low at 10 yards.

This would indicate that the rear sight is centered but the front sight may be held to low (the top of the front sight is held low in regards to the rear sight ).

A tendency to anticipate recoil could result in the groups being low because of a flinch but usually that pulls the groups low left to a right hand shooter and low right to a left hand shooter.

If possible try and bench rest your M&P and make sure that the front sight is centered with the rear sight and that the top of the front sight is even with the top of the rear sight.

If you still get the same results the front sight might be installed on the slide improperly.

Good Luck.

FlaRon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FlaRon!

That was my thoughts initially too - so I had other people (more experienced) fire the weapon, with similar results. My sight picture is good and I'm getting pretty good at squeezing off shots without pulling down. It's obvious (to me) when i don't have a firm gun upon firing. I will try resting on the bench, and I'll keep those targets in case I need to have something done.

·
Registered
587 Posts
it might be your sight picture on the sights , let me start by saying I am no expert , a lot of combat pistols have sights so you put the top of the rear sight in the middle of the front sight not the six o clock like target shooter's use

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was shooting low left. I put my pistol on a bench rest and fired. It hit where I had aimed. Pretty convincing argument that it was me that was having the problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same ...same......bench it ! three shot groups on Bullseyes.
Then a determination of the results can be had, and what to do.
You can even hang a couple pictures here to

Reactions: Sapelojoebro
1 - 6 of 6 Posts