Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I went to our club range yest. to shoot some 38 WCs. She was using her 4in Dan Wesson and I took
my 686 no dash. I had two or three bind ups. I was looking at the gun when my wife said its the brass causing it.
Sure enough I removed round and it worked like it should. This was all mixed range brass, tumbled till it was
very clean. After the wifes comment I remembered that some of these were tight in the shell holder. Had to turn
them. till they worked. Bad mistake on my part. The next batch I load will be checked and run through my case prep station and culled.
I think I'll invest in some new star line brass and scrap this old brass.
Oh, btw the wife tried the 686 and she liked it better than her pet DW. If my 686 had a 4in barrel shed claim it
Cliff

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Depends on the gun in our house:

My Model 10-5, 4" barrel, is super tight and the slightest high primer will bind it up so tight it's almost impossible to move the cylinder. The cylinder chambers are also JUST large enough for properly sized cases. Even a "silly millimeter" too fat will not go into any of the chambers. When Gramps was still reloading I had to check every single round on a flat surface for high primers and drop (plunk test) every one into the revolver chambers. A case gauge was not accurate enough for that gun.

On the other hand, my Model 686 snubby has always been totally not ammo picky, nor has Gramps' Model 60 .357 snubby.

·
Premium Member
12,733 Posts
These revolvers all headspace on their rims. If the original rims and case heads were not deformed, how did they cause binding?

Is it possible that they were belled above the web toward the head from overpressure, or a die adjustment crushing them down?

I'm trying to understand how the head above the rim could be thickening... You're using a .357 chamber, so it shouldn't be an occasional .357 mixed in among .38 special.

Is there carbon build up in the chambers?

Reactions: jeepnut and Cliff

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
High primer? That will bind up a revolver quickly. It sounds as though you now have a reason to go buy a 4” 686!

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Hot loaded 38 Spl ammo will expand the 'extractor groove' just above the case rim or the body of the case just above the rim will expand where it fits "inside" the shell holder where the sizer die never goes. In fact you can do that to an entire box of 38 Spl reloads when fired in a L-frame or M27. The fired rounds were no more difficult to eject from the chambers than factory 357 Mag ammo. I eventually found all 50 cases, 1 at a time, and tossed them. I don't remember the load, but I remember the consequences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts